That woman who found tissue in T-rex bone

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
In summary, during a conversation about the Genesis Museum, a guest used the discovery of tissue in T-rex bones as evidence for creationism. The tissue was found by Mary Schweitzer from North Carolina State University, who dissolved away mineralized bone tissue and found possible blood vessels and red blood cells. Despite the use of the word "living," the tissue was not actually living. The conversation then shifts to changing the title of a thread.
moe darklight
I was listening to talk radio and the guest was the guy who started the Genesis Museum (creationism "science" museum). Anyway, he used as evidence the tissue found in T-rex bones. I know the story is legitimate; I remember reading about it in a magazine a while back ago. But I completely forgot the name of the woman who found it and all the details surrounding the story, so I have no idea of what new developments have come up.

Is there an explanation of how tissue has survived that long yet?

(did Jesus do it? :biggrin:)

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Mary Schweitzer, North Carolina State University. She dissolved away some mineralized bone issue and found what appears to be blood vessels, with possible red blood cells.

And, to my knowledge, it was NOT living tissue.

:redface: oops. I guess "living" was the wrong word to put in there— or else those would be some miraculous cells indeed! ... how do I change the title of a thread? ... O well, at least it got your attention, eh.

Title is fixed. :smile:

yay! now my embarrassing mistake is forever erased! thanks both.

1. What is the significance of finding tissue in a T-rex bone?

Finding tissue in a T-rex bone is significant because it challenges the long-held belief that soft tissues cannot survive for millions of years. This discovery opens up the possibility for more research on ancient DNA and the potential to learn more about dinosaurs and their evolution.

2. How was the tissue preserved for so long?

The tissue was most likely preserved through a process called fossilization. This occurs when minerals replace the original organic material, preventing it from decomposing. In rare cases, the original tissue can also be preserved through freezing or desiccation.

3. What does this discovery mean for the study of dinosaurs?

This discovery has significant implications for the study of dinosaurs and their evolution. It opens up the possibility for scientists to study the genetic makeup of dinosaurs and potentially learn more about their behavior, appearance, and relationships with other species.

4. How was the tissue found in the T-rex bone?

The tissue was found by paleontologist Dr. Mary Schweitzer while she was examining the bone under a microscope. She noticed small, round structures that resembled blood vessels, and further analysis confirmed the presence of soft tissue.

5. Is this the first time tissue has been found in a dinosaur fossil?

No, this is not the first time tissue has been found in a dinosaur fossil. However, it is a rare occurrence and this particular discovery is significant because the tissue was found in a T-rex bone, one of the most well-known and studied dinosaur species.