Solving a Physics Problem: Cannon Shell Split and Momentum Calculation

• Thread starter zinedine_88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Just use the highest value.In summary, the problem is that the cannon shoots a 6 lb shell straight up and it splits into two pieces. The two pieces are observed to strike the ground simultaneously. The 4 lb piece hits the ground 1600 feet away from the explosion (measured along the x-axis).
zinedine_88
here is the problem.

A cannon shoots a 6 lb shell straight up. It reaches its maximum height, 1024 feet, and splits into two pieces, 2 lb and 4 lb. The two pieces are observed to strike the ground simultaneously. The 4 lb piece hits the ground 1600 feet away from the explosion(measured along the x AXIS)

a. How long would it have taken the shell to return to the ground if it had not split?

I found the TIME=8 seconds.

b.Find the velocity of each of the two pieces just after the explosion.

2lb piece - 400 ft/s
4lb piece - 200ft/s

AND PART "C" is where I get stuck! PLEASE HELP HERE.
Here is part "C"

c. Find the momentum of each piece just before they strike the ground.
WHAT SHOULD I DO.
Please Help

The answer in the book is
2lb piece - p(vector) = -25i(unit vector)x - 16i(unit vector)z
4lb piece - p(vector) = 25i(unit vector)x - 32i(unit vector)z

Physics news on Phys.org
I know its something easy but i just can't get it :(

Unless there's something I'm missing, you should be able to just use p=mv.

Just make sure to use velocity at the instant of interest, not immediately after separation.

I tried, but I don't know what to use for my initial momentum and my final momentum.

It is just so weird looking... I mean.. the velocity is Vx +Vy but.. the numbers are too big to get such a numbers.

i have no clue...

If I am not mistaken it dosent matter what mass something is. A 6lb. weight will hit the ground the same time as a 4lb and a 2lb as long as they are at the same height. And from what you said they spit at their max height.

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to conducting experiments and gathering evidence to answer a question or solve a problem. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

2. How do you solve a physics problem?

To solve a physics problem, you must first clearly identify what is being asked and what information is given. Then, you can use relevant equations, principles, and concepts to set up and solve the problem. It is important to show all of your work and check your answer for reasonability.

3. Can you give an example of a physics problem?

Yes, an example of a physics problem could be calculating the acceleration of a car given its mass and the net force acting on it. Another example could be determining the frequency of a pendulum based on its length and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What are common mistakes made when solving physics problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving physics problems include forgetting to convert units, using the wrong equation, and not considering all of the relevant forces or factors. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure they are accurate.

5. How do you approach a physics problem that you do not know how to solve?

If you come across a physics problem that you do not know how to solve, it is important to first break it down into smaller parts and identify what information is given. Then, you can try to relate the problem to a similar one that you do know how to solve, or seek help from a teacher, textbook, or online resource. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of problems and strategies for solving them.