Finding the Energy of an Outgoing Particle in a Momentum Conservation Problem

In summary, this problem involves working in natural units where ##c=1## and using the Minkowski metric where the time component is positive and the space components are negative. The task is to show that in particle u's rest frame, the energy of outgoing particle v is given by ##E_v = \frac{m_u^2+m_v^2-m_w^2}{2m_u}## by conserving four-momentum and energy components. By recognizing that you are in the rest frame of particle u, the result can be easily obtained.
ChrisJ
This problem assumes working in natural units where ##c=1##, and using the Minkowski metric where the time component is positive and the space ones negative (as I know the opposite convention is just as commonly used).

EDIT: I had intended to display 4-vectors as bold and the 3-vectors with the arrow but forgot that it won't parse the Tex properly. So I left the 3-vectors with the arrows, and if it has no arrow and has no component subscript (i.e. x/y/z) assume its a 4-vector.

1. Homework Statement

Particle u of mass ##m_u## has total energy ##E_u## in the the frame of the lab. It decays into two new particles, particle v of mass ##m_v## and particle w of mass ##m_w##.

Show that in particle u's rest frame, the energy of outgoing particle v is given by ##E_v = \frac{m_u^2+m_v^2-m_w^2}{2m_u}##

Homework Equations

##p \cdot p = m^2##
##E^2 = m^2 + |\vec{p}|^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

Never done conservation of four momentum problem before, but I assume that it is the case that ##p_u = p_v + p_w## and with the energy components being conserved, and the 3-momentum components being conserved, so that ##p_u = (E_v + E_w, \vec{p_v} + \vec{p_w})## ?

So far I have done,

[tex]
p_w = p_u - p_v \\
p_w \cdot p_w = (p_u - p_v) \cdot (p_u - p_v) \\
m_w^2 = m_u^2 + m_v^2 - 2 ( p_u \cdot p_v ) \\
p_u \cdot p_v = \frac{m_u^2+m_v^2-m_w^2}{2}
[/tex]

Which implies that ##p_u \cdot p_v = E_v m_u ## but this is where I come unstuck and can't get that result.

I have that ##p_u = (E_v + E_w, \vec{p_v} + \vec{p_w}) = (E_u , \vec{p_u}) ##
and that ##p_v = (E_v , \vec{p_v}) ##

Doing the dot product I get,
[tex]
p_u \cdot p_v = E_v(Ev + E_w) - \vec{p_v}(\vec{p_v}+\vec{p_w}) \\
p_u \cdot p_v = E_v^2+E_v E_w - p_{v_x}^2 - p_{w_x}^2 - p_{v_y}^2 - p_{w_y}^2 - p_{v_z}^2 - p_{w_z}^2
[/tex]

I am not sure if this is the correct way to go about it, but I can't seem to progress from here, not sure if it is because I have gone down the wrong path or if its just a algebra/connection issue. Any help/advice is much appreciated, thanks :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisJ said:
[tex]
p_w = p_u - p_v \\
p_w \cdot p_w = (p_u - p_v) \cdot (p_u - p_v) \\
m_w^2 = m_u^2 + m_v^2 - 2 ( p_u \cdot p_v ) \\
p_u \cdot p_v = \frac{m_u^2+m_v^2-m_w^2}{2}
[/tex]
Nice

Which implies that ##p_u \cdot p_v = E_v m_u ## but this is where I come unstuck##
This follows easily if you keep in mind that you are in the rest frame of particle u.

Likes ChrisJ
TSny said:
NiceThis follows easily if you keep in mind that you are in the rest frame of particle u.

Thanks for reminding about that, managed to get it now, since ##p_u = (E_u, 0)=(m_u,0)##, Cheers :)

What is conservation of 4-Momentum?

The conservation of 4-Momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total 4-momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the total energy and momentum of a system before and after a physical interaction or process must be the same.

What is 4-Momentum?

4-Momentum is a mathematical quantity that combines the concepts of energy and momentum in special relativity. It is a 4-dimensional vector that includes the energy and momentum of a particle or system, and is defined as (E, p), where E is the energy and p is the 3-dimensional momentum vector.

How is conservation of 4-Momentum related to other conservation laws?

The conservation of 4-Momentum is closely related to the conservation of energy and momentum laws. In fact, in classical mechanics, conservation of 4-Momentum is equivalent to the conservation of energy and momentum. However, in special relativity, 4-Momentum also takes into account the effects of time and space, making it a more comprehensive conservation law.

Can conservation of 4-Momentum be violated?

No, conservation of 4-Momentum is a fundamental law of physics and has been extensively tested and verified through experiments. Any violation of this law would require a significant revision of our current understanding of physics and the laws that govern the universe.

What are some real-world applications of the conservation of 4-Momentum?

The conservation of 4-Momentum has numerous applications in various fields of physics, such as particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. It has also been used to explain the behavior of objects in motion, such as rockets and satellites, and is essential in the development of technologies like particle accelerators and nuclear reactors.