Absolute Zero on celsius scale

In summary, the Carnot cycle involves relationships between extracted work, rejected heat, and the temperatures of the hot and cold reservoirs. By using the efficiency equation, which is defined as the difference between the heat extracted and expelled, we can derive the efficiency of the cycle as 1 minus the ratio of the temperatures of the cold and hot reservoirs. To solve a problem involving the location of absolute zero on the Celsius scale, the absolute zero must be considered as a variable in the equation.
arya_jsr
Hi ,
Please help me to solve following problem.

If 20 KJ are added to a carnot cycle at a temperature 100 degree Celsius and 14.6 KJ are rejected at 0 degree Celsius,determine the location of absolute zero on celsius scale?

Ans -270.16 C

Please tell me how to solve it

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Arya

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Arya, welcome to PF. What do you know about the Carnot cycle relationships between extracted work, rejected heat, and the temperatures of the hot and cold reservoirs?

Mapes said:
Hi Arya, welcome to PF. What do you know about the Carnot cycle relationships between extracted work, rejected heat, and the temperatures of the hot and cold reservoirs?

Hi Mapes,
In carnot cycle suppose Q1 is given as heat input and T1 is temperature of source,and
Q2 is rejected heat at temperature T2(Temperature of sink),then (Q1/T1)=(Q2/T2) and if W is the work done by reversible cyclic heat engine then Q1=Q2+W.
Now please tell me how to solve this problem
regards
Arya

The Efficiency is defined as:

[tex]E=\frac{Q_h-Q_c}{Q_h}[/tex]

Qh is the heat extracted and Qc is the head expelled.

Then, we can derive using basic thermodynamic laws that the efficiency of the Carnot Cycle is given by:

[tex]E=1-\frac{T_c}{T_h}[/tex]

Where Th is the temperature of the hot reservoir and Tc is the temperature of the cold reservoir. Can you figure it out from here?

arya_jsr said:
Hi Mapes,
In carnot cycle suppose Q1 is given as heat input and T1 is temperature of source,and
Q2 is rejected heat at temperature T2(Temperature of sink),then (Q1/T1)=(Q2/T2) and if W is the work done by reversible cyclic heat engine then Q1=Q2+W.

Looks good. Now [itex]T_1[/itex] and [itex]T_2[/itex] are measured from the absolute zero of the system, which is a variable for this problem. So you can't just use 100°C and 0°C; rather, you need to reference these to the absolute zero variable. Then solve the equation for this variable.

Thanks My Friend Mapes,
I got it ,it solved my problem.Actually i was not taking absolute zero as a variable .Now i have solved it.Thanks
regards
Arya

What is absolute zero on the Celsius scale?

Absolute zero on the Celsius scale is the lowest possible temperature that can be reached, at which point all molecular motion stops. It is equivalent to -273.15 degrees Celsius or 0 Kelvin.

Can absolute zero be reached in real life?

While scientists have been able to achieve extremely low temperatures close to absolute zero, it is impossible to reach it in real life due to the third law of thermodynamics. This law states that it would take an infinite amount of time and energy to reach absolute zero.

What happens to matter at absolute zero?

At absolute zero, all molecular motion stops and matter becomes completely rigid. This means that all atoms and molecules are frozen in place, resulting in no energy or heat being produced.

What is the significance of absolute zero on the Celsius scale?

Absolute zero is a crucial point on the temperature scale as it serves as the starting point for the Kelvin scale, which is used in scientific calculations and is the standard unit of measurement for temperature in the scientific community.

How is absolute zero calculated on the Celsius scale?

Absolute zero on the Celsius scale is calculated by subtracting 273.15 from any given temperature in degrees Celsius. For example, 100 degrees Celsius would be equivalent to 373.15 Kelvin, and subtracting 273.15 would give us the value of 100 for absolute zero.