Why do we not need to convert from degrees Celsius to Kelvin?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the Kelvin and Celsius temperature scales and how they can be used interchangeably when measuring changes in temperature. It also touches on the concept of thermodynamic temperature and how it is derived from the efficiency of a Carnot cycle. The conversation concludes by mentioning that the Rankine temperature scale is another thermodynamic temperature scale and that the use of absolute zero is necessary in defining a thermodynamic temperature.
AN630078
Homework Statement
Hello, I was thinking, when performing calculations for specific heat capacity why do we not need to convert from degrees Celsius to Kelvin?
Relevant Equations
E=mc∆θ (I think that this may be applicable, ignore if you do not think it is relevant to my question)
I understand that the Kelvin scale begins at absolute zero and that the Kelvin scale may even be referred to as the absolute scale. As the units begin from a definite zero and increase with equal amounts of energy being added to the particles of the substance being measured (at equal intervals to those on the Celsius scale) yet the various temperatures are not compared with something else (like the freezing point of water which is defined as zero degrees Celsius). Would this apply to why we not need to change from degrees Celsius to Kelvin? Or am I thinking along the wrong lines and it is simply a matter of using SI. units etc.?

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to understand that for heat capacity, it is the change of temperature that is significant. Since degrees Celsius and Kelvin are the same size, it doesn't matter which you use to measure a change in temperature.

A change, on any scale, is determined by taking one measurement from another. All that matters is the number of steps between them.

Say you had a water tank, you could measure the level starting from the bottom, or from the top, or from any arbitrary level. Each would (or could) give you a different number, eg. 7m above the bottom, 3m below the top or 2m above the halfway level. (h= +7, d= -3, or v= +2)
When the level changed, these might change to h= +4, d = -6 and v= -1,
so the change or difference would be; in h (+4) - (+7) = (-3), in d (-6) - (-3) =(-3), in v (-1) - (+2) = (-3)
The result is the same irrespective of where you start your scale, because the size of the units is the same.

Likes AN630078
Say you have water at 20 Celsius and you heat it up to 80 Celsius. What's the temperature increment?
Can you do the same case with Kelvins?

Likes AN630078
As long as your units are self consistent you can choose for your convenience. They are just a measuring stick.

Likes AN630078
Merlin3189 said:
Since degrees Celsius and Kelvin are the same size, it doesn't matter which you use to measure a change in temperature.
caz said:
As long as your units are self consistent you can choose for your convenience. They are just a measuring stick.

Those statements are true BUT are widely misunderstood by journalists, even sometimes by folks designated as "science writers" because they will say, for example, that 80 degrees C is "twice as hot" as 40 degrees C. If they were using Kelvin, they would see that this is not true.

Likes AN630078
phinds said:
Those statements are true BUT are widely misunderstood by journalists, even sometimes by folks designated as "science writers" because they will say, for example, that 80 degrees C is "twice as hot" as 40 degrees C. If they were using Kelvin, they would see that this is not true.
Given that hot is measure of human perception, that could actually be true. 😜

Likes AN630078
The short answer is that, if you denote the temperature in Kelvin by ##\theta## and in Celsius by ##\theta'##, then the two only differ by a constant translation ##\theta = \theta' + a##, so ##\Delta \theta' = \theta_2 ' - \theta_1' = (\theta_2 + a) - (\theta_1 + a) = \Delta \theta##, in other words temperature differences coincide.

The longer answer is that Kelvin (##\mathrm{K}##) is a unit of thermodynamic temperature, defined by ##1/T = dS/dE##, whilst Celsius (##\mathrm{C}^{\mathrm{o}}##) is not. Thermodynamic temperature is derived by imposing that the efficienty of a Carnot cycle depends only on the temperatures ##\theta_H## and ##\theta_C## of each reservoir, ##e = f(\theta_H, \theta_C)##. Consider two heat engines operating between three reservoirs at ##\theta_1 > \theta_2 > \theta_3##, then you must have$$e_{\text{overall}} = f(\theta_1, \theta_3) = f(\theta_1, \theta_2) f(\theta_2, \theta_3)$$from which you deduce the form of ##f## must be ##f(a,b) = h(a)/h(b)## for some function ##h##, which we are free to choose so long as it is monotonic. The standard choice for ##h## is the identity map which, along with the reference state of ##0 \mathrm{K} \leftrightarrow## absolute zero, leads to the Kelvin scale.

To give an example, if you use an expression like ##U = \frac{d_f}{2} \mathrm{k}_B T##, then ##T## is a thermodynamic temperature and you must use Kelvins!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes AN630078
The Rankine temperature scale is also a thermodynamic temperature scale

I believe that there is an implied relative to "absolute zero" in ##U = \frac{d_f}{2} \mathrm{k}_B T## and like equations that could be made explicit allowing additional temperature scales. I am not saying that adding in absolute zero makes a “convenient” choice. Also, adding the relative term is effectively defining a thermodynamic temperature. Am I missing anything else?

Last edited:
Likes AN630078
Merlin3189 said:
You seem to understand that for heat capacity, it is the change of temperature that is significant. Since degrees Celsius and Kelvin are the same size, it doesn't matter which you use to measure a change in temperature.

A change, on any scale, is determined by taking one measurement from another. All that matters is the number of steps between them.

Say you had a water tank, you could measure the level starting from the bottom, or from the top, or from any arbitrary level. Each would (or could) give you a different number, eg. 7m above the bottom, 3m below the top or 2m above the halfway level. (h= +7, d= -3, or v= +2)
When the level changed, these might change to h= +4, d = -6 and v= -1,
so the change or difference would be; in h (+4) - (+7) = (-3), in d (-6) - (-3) =(-3), in v (-1) - (+2) = (-3)
The result is the same irrespective of where you start your scale, because the size of the units is the same.
Thank you very much for your informative response and explanation. I see, so it is acceptable to use either unit because the intervals of the scales are equal. 👍

caz said:
I believe that there is an implied relative to "absolute zero" in ##U = \frac{d_f}{2} \mathrm{k}_B T## and like equations that could be made explicit allowing additional temperature scales. I am not saying that adding in absolute zero makes a “convenient” choice. Also, adding the relative term is effectively defining a thermodynamic temperature. Am I missing anything else?

What does this mean, what is a 'relative term'? I can't parse it as it stands. Could you write your idea as an equation?

I am saying that instead of using a temperature scale with absolute zero equal to zero, we could write our equations relative to absolute zero without regard to the numerical value

##T\rightarrow T-T_{absolute zero}##

so

##U = \frac{d_f}{2} \mathrm{k}_B T \rightarrow \frac{d_f}{2} \mathrm{k}_B (T-T_{absolute zero})##

The point I am trying to make is that the requirement of absolute zero as a reference temperature does not limit our choice of temperature scales. I am not saying that carrying around ##T_{absolute zero}## is the most convenient thing to do.

Likes etotheipi
Okay sure! But that is essentially equivalent to converting into Kelvin.

etotheipi said:
you must use Kelvins!

I probably over interpreted your comment.
etotheipi said:
Okay sure! But that is essentially equivalent to converting into Kelvin.

Yes it is, but my point is that there is nothing special about the Kelvin scale.

caz said:
Yes it is, but my point is that there is nothing special about the Kelvin scale.

I think we have to disagree here. The thermodynamic temperature ##\theta## is defined such that the Carnot efficiency is$$e = 1- \frac{\theta_2}{\theta_1} = 1 - \frac{q_C}{q_H}$$i.e. of identical form to the equation involving the heats. Alternatively, you can define it by ##\theta:= pV/N\mathrm{k}_B##. You can prove these are equivalent (I will do so if prompted...!). The second law of thermodynamics induces a canonical choice of temperature scale.

Of course you can always replace ##\theta## with ##\theta_{\text{Celsius}} + 273.15## if you want, but it's sort of obfuscating things. :wink:

etotheipi said:
I think we have to disagree here.

One more try.

Doesn’t the Rankine scale meet these criteria in a non-obfuscating manner?
That multiple temperature scales meet these criteria means that the Kelvin scale is not special.

Let’s create a new temperature scale, the PF.
Using your non-obfuscating postulate, let’s set absolute zero to 0PF.
From years of observing physicists, let’s set the freezing point of alcohol to 100 PF.
We now have a scale that is just as easy to use as Kelvin and that has a clear warning that bad things happen at 100PF. Given this additional feature, it is clearly superior to Kelvin.

The point is that you have for the function ##f## I defined in #7 that ##1- f(\theta_1, \theta_2) = h(\theta_1)/h(\theta_2)##. There is not a unique choice for ##h##, indeed you could set ##h(x) = \sqrt{x}##, ##h(x) = x##, ##h(x) = \alpha x##, etc. In other words you can dilate the temperature scale by a constant factor and still have a valid thermodynamic temperature scale, sure. In that sense the "PF" is fine, as are "Rankines", etc., but these are all still thermodynamic temperatures as opposed to Celsius or Fahrenheit, which are not.

Of course you will also need to modify the units of constants like ##\mathrm{k}_B##!

Likes Frabjous
etotheipi said:
Of course you will also need to modify the units of constants like kB!
As a staunch defender of the Fahrenheit scale as being much more people-friendly, I propose that we switch to Rankine as the absolute scale of choice. Yes we will need to multiply ##k_B## by ##5/9## . Small price to pay. Modestly I propose to call this the "hutch S I" system.

Vive Fahrenheit !

• Haha
Likes hmmm27, Frabjous and etotheipi
The bit about "user-friendliness" reminded me of this:

1617652118486.png

• Love
Likes hutchphd and Frabjous
As official F° spokesperson it is incumbent upon me to point out : you have interchanged the appropriate cold labels for F and C . 0° is "really cold out there" for F and "meh..." for C.

Fahrenheit Forever !

Likes hmmm27
hutchphd said:
As official F° spokesperson it is incumbent upon me to point out : you have interchanged the appropriate cold labels for F and C . 0° is "really cold out there" for F and "meh..." for C.

Fahrenheit Forever !
It’s correct. Fahrenheit followers are just tougher.

Likes hutchphd
hutchphd said:
Ha! I didn't even realize that. Good catch :wink:

1. Why do we not need to convert from degrees Celsius to Kelvin?

Kelvin is the SI unit for temperature and is based on the absolute scale, where 0 Kelvin represents absolute zero. Celsius, on the other hand, is based on the Celsius scale where 0 degrees represents the freezing point of water. Since both scales have the same size of degree, there is no need to convert between them.

2. How is the Kelvin scale related to the Celsius scale?

The Kelvin scale is related to the Celsius scale through a simple mathematical formula: Kelvin = Celsius + 273.15. This means that the numerical value of a temperature in Kelvin is always 273.15 degrees higher than the same temperature in Celsius.

3. Are there any advantages to using the Kelvin scale over the Celsius scale?

One advantage of using the Kelvin scale is that it is an absolute scale, meaning it does not have negative values. This makes it easier to work with in scientific calculations and eliminates the need for negative numbers. Additionally, the Kelvin scale is used in many scientific equations and laws, making it a more convenient unit to use in scientific research.

4. Is it ever necessary to convert from degrees Celsius to Kelvin?

In most cases, there is no need to convert from degrees Celsius to Kelvin. However, in certain scientific applications, such as in thermodynamics or when working with extreme temperatures, it may be necessary to use the Kelvin scale for more accurate measurements and calculations.

5. Can you convert directly from Fahrenheit to Kelvin?

Yes, you can convert directly from Fahrenheit to Kelvin using the formula: Kelvin = (Fahrenheit + 459.67) x 5/9. However, it is more common to convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius first, and then from Celsius to Kelvin using the formula mentioned in question 2.