What is the mean free path of conduction electrons in Na at T = 273 K?

In summary, the resistivities and Fermi speeds of Na, Au, and Sn at T = 273 K are 4.2 µ\Omega·cm, 2.04 µ\Omega·cm, and 10.6 µ\Omega·cm, and 1.07e6 m/s, 1.39e6 m/s, and 1.89e6 m/s respectively. The mean free paths for the conduction electrons in these elements can be found using the equation \rho=(Me)(Vav)/(Ne)(e)^2\lambda, where Vav is sqrt(3kT/Me) and Ne is the electron density.
w3390

Homework Statement

The resistivities and Fermi speeds of Na, Au, and Sn at T = 273 K are 4.2 µ[tex]\Omega[/tex]·cm, 2.04 µ[tex]\Omega[/tex]·cm, and 10.6 µ[tex]\Omega[/tex]·cm, and 1.07e6 m/s, 1.39e6 m/s, and 1.89e6 m/s respectively. Use these values to find the mean free paths λ for the conduction electrons in these elements.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the equation I should be using is [tex]\rho[/tex]=(Me)(Vav)/(Ne)(e)^2[tex]\lambda[/tex]. The main issue with this problem is that the units are all over the place. Using this equation, I get [tex]\lambda[/tex]= 3.56nm for Na. All I'm concerned with right now is Na. I have a feeling though that since I am given the Fermi speed, I need to use a formula that incorporates the Fermi speed, but I cannot find any that seem relevant.

Physics news on Phys.org
w3390 said:
I think the equation I should be using is [tex]\rho[/tex]=(Me)(Vav)/(Ne)(e)^2[tex]\lambda[/tex].

What is V_av in this equation?
The units of this equation are correct. The unit of Ne is m^-3, The units of e is As.

Vav in this equation is sqrt(3kT/Me), where k= 1.38e-23 J/K. This is where I think the problem lies. Using the equation I stated in my first post, there is no place to substitute the Fermi speeds. I cannot find any equation that fits the Fermi speed to the resistivity. Since I am given the Fermi speed, I know how to find the Fermi energy, but that gets me nowhere.

Nevermind...figured it out

1. What is the mean free path?

The mean free path is the average distance that a particle travels before colliding with another particle or object. It is a measure of the distance between collisions in a given medium.

2. How is the mean free path calculated?

The mean free path can be calculated by dividing the average distance the particle travels by the total number of collisions it experiences.

3. What factors affect the mean free path?

The mean free path is affected by factors such as the density, temperature, and pressure of the medium, as well as the size and speed of the particles in the medium.

4. Why is the mean free path important in physics?

The mean free path is important in physics because it helps us understand the behavior of particles in a given medium. It is used in many fields, including thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and kinetic theory.

5. How does the mean free path relate to the speed of particles?

The mean free path is inversely proportional to the speed of particles. This means that as the speed of particles increases, the mean free path decreases, and vice versa.