Mean Free Path of Air Molecules

In summary: I see. After converting units I got the correct answer of 164308 meters. I guess I got lazy and assumed that plug in chug would yield an answer in the correct units. Thanks.
cwill53
Homework Statement
Calculate the mean free path of air molecules at ##3.5\cdot 10^{-13}atm## and 300K. Model the air molecules as spheres of radius ##2.0\cdot 10^{-10}m##
Relevant Equations
$$\lambda =\frac{k_{b}T}{4\pi \sqrt{2}r^2p}$$
I used the form of the mean free path equation taking advantage of the fact that the Boltzmann constant is equal to the ideal gas constant R divided by Avogadro's number, because I didn't know if I could use the Boltzmann constant in the ##1.381\cdot 10^{-23}J/(molecules\cdot K)## form:

$$\lambda =\frac{RT}{4\pi \sqrt{2}r^2pN_{A}}=\frac{(008206(L\cdot atm)/(mol\cdot K))(300K)}{4\pi \sqrt{2}(2.0\cdot 10^{-10}m)^2(3.5\cdot 10^{-13}atm)(6.022\cdot 10^{23}mol^{-1})}=164308154.9m$$

There is no answer written in the back of the book for this particular question and when I looked the question up online I'm getting answers far from mine. I would have thought we would have to use the R constant with the units ##\frac{L\cdot atm}{mol\cdot K}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
10^-13 atm. A better vacuum than I've ever used, even in vacuum tubes. A long free path is reasonable.

Likes cwill53
Note that overall your units reduce to L/m2. Did you convert L to m3? Also, you wrote the value of R as 008206 L⋅atm/(mol⋅K). Is there a decimal point somewhere?

Likes cwill53
TSny said:
Note that overall your units reduce to L/m2. Did you convert L to m3? Also, you wrote the value of R as 008206 L⋅atm. Is there a decimal point somewhere?
That was supposed to be 0.08206, I just forgot the decimal point only in the LaTeX.
I don’t understand which R value I should use if I have pressure in atm. Should I convert the pressure to pascals?

cwill53 said:
That was supposed to be 0.08206, I just forgot the decimal point only in the LaTeX.
I don’t understand which R value I should use if I have pressure in atm. Should I convert the pressure to pascals?
Your calculation is fine except that it gives the answer in units of L/m2. You just need to reduce this to meters.

TSny said:
Your calculation is fine except that it gives the answer in units of L/m2. You just need to reduce this to meters.
I see. After converting units I got the correct answer of 164308 meters. I guess I got lazy and assumed that plug in chug would yield an answer in the correct units. Thanks.

Likes TSny

1. What is the mean free path of air molecules?

The mean free path of air molecules is the average distance that a molecule travels before colliding with another molecule.

2. How is the mean free path of air molecules calculated?

The mean free path of air molecules can be calculated using the formula: λ = kT/(√2πd^2p), where λ is the mean free path, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature, d is the diameter of the molecule, and p is the pressure.

3. What factors affect the mean free path of air molecules?

The mean free path of air molecules is affected by temperature, pressure, and the size of the molecules. As temperature and pressure increase, the mean free path decreases. Additionally, smaller molecules have a longer mean free path compared to larger molecules.

4. Why is the mean free path of air molecules important?

The mean free path of air molecules is important because it affects the transport properties of gases, such as thermal conductivity and diffusion. It also plays a role in understanding gas behavior and gas mixtures in various environments.

5. Can the mean free path of air molecules be changed?

Yes, the mean free path of air molecules can be changed by altering the temperature, pressure, or composition of the gas. For example, increasing the temperature or decreasing the pressure will result in a longer mean free path.