How Does X-Ray Diffraction Determine Atomic Spacing in Crystals?

In summary, the problem at hand is to find the atomic spacing in a crystal of rock salt (NaCl) using the given density and average masses of the Na and Cl atoms. The formula for density is mass/volume and the formula for determining the atomic spacing is 2d sin x = nλ. The structure of NaCl is a cubic lattice with Cl atoms at the corners and face centers and Na atoms at edge centers and body center. To find the mass of the unit cell, the number of units of NaCl per unit cell can be calculated from the density, and then the volume and unit cell edge can be determined. Finally, the structure of NaCl can be used to determine the inter-atomic spacing. While X
CollectiveRocker
Here's an interesting problem: Find the atomic spacing in a crystal of rock salt (NaCl). The density of rock salt is 2.16 * 10^3 kg/m^3 and the average masses of the Na and Cl atoms are respectively 3.82 * 10^-26 kg and 5.89 * 10^-26 kg. Now I know that density (Rho) = mass/volume and 2d sin x = nλ, where n = 1,2,3, ... d is the distance between atomic molecules, λ is the wavelength, x = angle of incidence. How do I use this info to find out what d is? Is there another formula I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find out the number of atoms in a cubic meter from the density equation and the NaCl structure (keep the Na mass to Cl mass ratio). You don't need Bragg's law for this. You can use Braggs's law to verify if you have access to NaCl x-ray spectra, it's probably from lambda = 1.54 Ang, so plug this in, with n = 1 and x from the spectra and the d should be the same.

Now you owe me a cookie.

You don't need bragg's law for this problem...it doesn't help in any way. You're not given any data about -X-ray diffraction spectra, are you ?

What you do need to know is the structure of the NaCl crystal : it's a cubic lattice with Cl atoms at the corners and face centers and the Na atoms at edge centers and body center (this is the same as 2 interpenetrating FCCs).

Find the mass of the unit cell, by calculating the number of units of NaCl per unit cell. From the density, you can calculate the volume of the unit cell, and hence the unit cell edge. Now use the structure to determine the inter-atomic spacing.

CollectiveRocker,
More than two years I participate in Physics Forums, but never saw similar thread.
Really, it is very interesting and perspective theme.
By the way to tell, I trust calculations on density more, than to calculations on diffractional parameters. For example, at calculation of crystal structure of boron, I have found out, that calculation on diffractional parameters gives the error up to 25 %.
See
http://vlamir.nsk.ru/B_&_N_&_O_e.pdf
However, I use own hypothesis about a structure of atoms.
For me, it will be interesting for finding out, what ideas concerning the geometrical form of atoms you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
You get large errors with XRD, only if your sample is strained or you don't have a large enough amount of the sample to get accurate results.

If you do careful parameter fitting with good data, you can easily get within 5% of the right numbers.

It may be assumed, experimental data on XRD from directories of 1995-2000 editions are recommended, as the most exact. The point is how we understand process of interaction X-rays with atoms of crystal.
In one of my calculations, I have tried to construct transitions from cubic lattices into hexagonal and vice versa at the constant sizes and the form of atoms. These transitions, it agrees with XRD, occur at change of temperature of crystal. At that, it has turned out, that the density of substance changes very sharply. In experiment it is not observed.
Hence, at X-Ray Diffraction on cubic and hexagonal phases of the same crystal, there is a radiation of quantums from different sites on surface of atoms (or, if you want, reflection X-rays from different sites of surface of atoms).
In modern XRD – theory this feature is not taken into account.

1. What is X-Ray Diffraction?

X-Ray Diffraction is a scientific technique used to analyze the structure of materials by shining a beam of X-rays onto the material and observing the scattering pattern. This allows scientists to determine the arrangement of atoms within a material, which is crucial for understanding its properties and behavior.

2. What is the purpose of X-Ray Diffraction?

The purpose of X-Ray Diffraction is to determine the crystal structure of a material. By analyzing the scattering pattern produced by X-rays, scientists can determine the positions of atoms within a crystal lattice and the distances between them. This information is essential for understanding the physical, chemical, and mechanical properties of materials.

3. How does X-Ray Diffraction work?

X-Ray Diffraction works by shining a beam of X-rays onto a sample and measuring the angles and intensities of the scattered rays. These measurements are then used to calculate the positions of atoms within the crystal lattice using mathematical techniques such as Fourier analysis. The resulting pattern is called a diffraction pattern.

4. What types of materials can be analyzed using X-Ray Diffraction?

X-Ray Diffraction can be used to analyze a wide range of materials, including crystals, powders, liquids, and amorphous materials. It is particularly useful for studying crystalline materials, such as minerals, metals, and polymers, as their regular atomic arrangements produce distinct and identifiable diffraction patterns.

5. What are some real-world applications of X-Ray Diffraction?

X-Ray Diffraction has numerous applications in various fields, including materials science, geology, biology, and pharmaceuticals. It is commonly used to identify unknown substances, determine the purity of materials, and study the structure of crystals and proteins. It is also used in the development of new materials and drugs, as well as in forensic investigations and archaeological studies.