Wave length for a bragg diffraction from a incident x-ray.

In summary, the question is about finding the wavelength for Bragg diffraction to occur from (110) and (111) planes in a cubic crystal with lattice constant "a" and [100] direction parallel to the incident x-ray beam. The solution involves using Bragg's law and calculating the angle and "d" values for each plane, and then using the equation "wavelength = 12.4/E(keV) * [A]" to find the wavelength, with "[A]" representing the angstrom unit.
Shawj02
A cubic crystal with a lattice constant "a" is mounted with a [100] direction parallel to the incident x-ray beam. what would be the wave length for a bragg diffraction to occur from (110) and (111) planes?

So Bragg's law is:
2d sin (theta) = n wavelength.

So my thoughts are:
This is actually two questions; between (100),(110) and (100),(111).
So my first solution looks like
Angle between (100) and (110) = ArcTan(a/a) = pi/4
and I think "d" equals either Sqrt(2)a or a/Sqrt(2)
And then plug the correct d and theta into Braggs for the wavelength.

And my solution for (100),(111).
Angle between (100) and (111) = ArcTan(Sqrt(3)a/a) = pi/3
and "d" is either Sqrt(3)a or a/(Sqrt(8))
And then plug the correct d and theta into Braggs for the wavelength.

Does this seem like I am on the correct path for the solution? which d is the correct method.
Im worried that I've simplified the question too much and there is more too it.

Also I found that "photons x-rays: wavelength = 12.4/E(keV) * [A]"
But I am not too sure what the "[A]" is.

Thanks!

(Im pretty sure that the d values are a/Sqrt(2) and a/(Sqrt(8), can someone check please?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your d values are correct - a/Sqrt(2) for (100),(110) and a/(Sqrt(8)) for (100),(111). The "[A]" in the equation you found is the angstrom unit, which is a unit of length equal to 0.1 nanometers.

1. What is the significance of the wave length in Bragg diffraction from incident X-rays?

The wave length in Bragg diffraction from incident X-rays determines the angle at which the X-rays will be diffracted. This is due to the fact that the spacing between atomic planes in a crystal lattice is directly related to the wavelength of the incident X-ray.

2. How is the wave length of the incident X-ray measured in Bragg diffraction?

The wave length of the incident X-ray is typically measured using a technique called Laue diffraction, where a crystal is placed in the path of the X-ray and the resulting diffraction pattern is analyzed to determine the wavelength.

3. Is there a specific formula for calculating the wave length in Bragg diffraction?

Yes, there is a specific formula known as the Bragg equation, which relates the wave length of the incident X-ray, the angle of diffraction, and the spacing between atomic planes in a crystal lattice. This equation is λ = 2d sinθ, where λ is the wave length, d is the spacing between atomic planes, and θ is the angle of diffraction.

4. Can the wave length of the incident X-ray be adjusted in Bragg diffraction?

Yes, the wave length of the incident X-ray can be adjusted by changing the energy of the X-ray source. This can be done using a monochromator, which filters out all but a specific wavelength of X-rays.

5. What happens if the wave length of the incident X-ray does not match the spacing between atomic planes in a crystal lattice in Bragg diffraction?

If the wave length of the incident X-ray does not match the spacing between atomic planes in a crystal lattice, the X-rays will not be diffracted and no diffraction pattern will be observed. This is why it is important to carefully select the wavelength of the X-ray source in Bragg diffraction experiments.