Density of states in anisotropic conduction band valley

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the density of states for a dispersion relation with different effective masses in different directions. The process involves integrating the inverse gradient of energy over a surface of constant energy, which is an ellipsoid. The conversation also mentions that there are no analytical solutions for the required elliptic integrals, but a simple result with a proportional relationship can be found in a PDF from another course. The conversation ends with the mention of a thread that suggests expressing the gradient in terms of energy and integrating over the constant energy surface, but the speaker was unable to make progress on the assignment.
johng23
I need to calculate the density of states for a dispersion relation which is like the free electron dispersion, but with one effective mass in the kx, ky directions, and a different effective mass in kz. So I need to integrate the inverse gradient of E(k) over a surface of constant energy, ie and ellipsoid. I am confused about how to perform this integral.

Looking up some mathematical results on ellipsoids, it seems that you need to define some elliptic integrals which don't have an analytic solution. But I also found a PDF from some other semiconductor course which outlines this exact problem, and then gives a simple result that the density of states is proportional to sqrt(m*1 m*2 m*3) for the case where you have a general ellipsoid. Am I missing some major simplifying trick in the calculation?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I found in another thread that you need to express the gradient in terms of the energy, and then you can integrate over the constant energy surface. So I got as far as expressing the gradient as something of the form [tex]\sqrt{aE+b|k|^{2}}[/tex], then I need to integrate the inverse of that over the ellipsoid of constant energy. Couldn't make any progress there. The assignment is over now, so it doesn't matter, but if anyone knows how you do this I would like to know, because I don't expect to get a solution set for this class.

1. What is anisotropy in the context of conduction band valleys?

Anisotropy refers to the directional dependence of a physical property. In the context of conduction band valleys, it refers to the fact that the density of states (DOS) in these valleys varies with direction in the crystal lattice.

2. How does the density of states in anisotropic conduction band valleys affect electronic transport properties?

The density of states in anisotropic conduction band valleys plays a crucial role in determining the electronic transport properties of a material. It affects the carrier mobility, conductivity, and other transport properties, as it determines the number of available energy states for carriers to occupy.

3. What factors influence the anisotropy of conduction band valleys?

The anisotropy of conduction band valleys can be influenced by various factors, such as crystal structure, symmetry, and strain. These factors affect the energy dispersion of electrons in different directions, resulting in varying densities of states.

4. How is the density of states in anisotropic conduction band valleys measured?

The density of states in anisotropic conduction band valleys can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) and scanning tunneling microscopy (STM). These techniques allow for the direct observation of the energy dispersion of electrons in different directions.

5. Can anisotropy in conduction band valleys be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, anisotropy in conduction band valleys can be manipulated or controlled by altering the crystal structure or applying external strain to the material. This can result in changes in the energy dispersion and therefore the density of states in different directions.