Semiconductors, minimum conductivity

In summary, the minimum conductivity of a semiconductor occurs when n0 = ni√(μh/μe). Derive an equation for the minimum conductivity. Calculate the (i) minimum and (ii) intrinsic conductivity for silicon. State the assumptions you make and the origin of any material properties used.
leonmate

Homework Statement

Show that the minimum conductivity of a semiconductor occurs when n0 = ni√(μhe)

Derive an equation for the minimum conductivity

Calculate the (i) minimum and (ii) intrinsic conductivity for silicon. State the assumptions you make and the origin of any material properties used

Homework Equations

Some equations I've dug out of my notes that look revelant:

conductivity, σ = enμe + epμh = σe + σh
Number of electrons in conduction band: n0 = niexp(Ei - Ef / kT)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little stuck on where to start with this one,
I know that ni is the intrinsic carrier concentration, n0 is the carrier concentration in the conduction band.

μh and μe are hole and electron mobility. This is the constant of proportionality between the drift velocity and the electric field. So the some of the electrons drift into the conduction band

Seems obvious that conductivity is at a minimum when there is as few electrons as possible in the conduction band, so I guess I need to do something with that. But I really need a hint or two here as I'm struggling to solve this problem. It's due tomorrow! >_<

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you remember that in a semiconductor n*p = ni2?

yeah, i have that eq written down, trying to work out where to go from that...

So write n = n0 and p = ni2 / n0, then write σ in terms of n0 (eliminating n and p), then find the value of n0 that minimizes σ.

σ = e(n0μe + ni2/n0 μh)

I'm not really sure what to do with this, also where did n = n0 come from?

Ah, brainwave...

phyzguy said:
So write n = n0 and p = ni2 / n0, then write σ in terms of n0 (eliminating n and p), then find the value of n0 that minimizes σ.

σ = e(n0μe + ni2/n0 μh)

Then differentiate wrt n and set equal to zero to find the minimum. Rearrange and got it!

Great!

a. Calculate conductivity σ as function of temperature σ(T) for following semiconductors:Eg=0.4 eV, Nd=1e15 cm-3; Ec-Ed=0.02, Nc=Nv=1e19;
Use temperature from 80K to 500K, step 1K. For mobility, use µ=µoT-0.6 with µo=20,000.

can anybody help me out with this question.

1. What is a semiconductor?

A semiconductor is a material that has electrical conductivity between that of a conductor and an insulator. This means that it can conduct electricity, but not as well as a metal, and not as poorly as a non-conductive material.

2. What is minimum conductivity in semiconductors?

Minimum conductivity in semiconductors refers to the lowest level of electrical conductivity that a semiconductor can have. This is typically associated with the energy level at which electrons are able to move and contribute to the material's conductivity.

3. What factors affect minimum conductivity in semiconductors?

The minimum conductivity in semiconductors is affected by various factors such as temperature, impurities in the material, and the number of free electrons or holes present. These factors can either increase or decrease the minimum conductivity of a semiconductor.

4. How is minimum conductivity measured in semiconductors?

Minimum conductivity in semiconductors is often measured using a technique called four-point probe conductivity measurement. This involves passing a known current through a sample and measuring the voltage drop across it, which can then be used to calculate the material's conductivity.

5. What are the practical applications of minimum conductivity in semiconductors?

Minimum conductivity in semiconductors is an important factor in the design and functionality of electronic devices such as transistors and diodes. It also plays a crucial role in the development of advanced technologies such as solar cells, LEDs, and computer chips.