Does anyone know how I can do this?

• Thread starter zachg18
  • Start date
In summary: Yeah that's exactly what it would be for, an athletic event. I didn't know they used RFID for that, but if so then that's perfect. Thanks again.
zachg18
So I have an idea for a product, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I won't say exactly what the product is (no offense), but basically I would need a watch/sensor to activate a timer when passing by a pole.

What would happen is a person would wear this watch (with sensor inside it), or some type of arm band with a sensor inside it, and as they passed this pole (which would also have a sensor on it), a timer would start. I'm guessing it would have to be a laser sensor as well (maybe that's the only type of sensor there is, I don't even know).

Anyway, I'm sure the technology for this exists, I just need a little help in which direction to go.

I really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look up RFIDs. They're what you want I think.

zachg18 said:
So I have an idea for a product, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I won't say exactly what the product is (no offense), but basically I would need a watch/sensor to activate a timer when passing by a pole.

What would happen is a person would wear this watch (with sensor inside it), or some type of arm band with a sensor inside it, and as they passed this pole (which would also have a sensor on it), a timer would start. I'm guessing it would have to be a laser sensor as well (maybe that's the only type of sensor there is, I don't even know).

Anyway, I'm sure the technology for this exists, I just need a little help in which direction to go.

I really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Welcome to the PF.

As Dave says, RFID is a common way to do this. The technique is used every weekend at triathlons and marathons to time all of the athletes. I did a Google Images search on Triathlon Timing Systems, and got lots of good hits:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1T...ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Ok great. Thanks for the help. One other question though. Do you know if the timer could start instantaneously when one sensor passed the other? I need it to be an accurate measurement so if it takes a tenth of a second to start even it won't work.

Thanks again.

zachg18 said:
Ok great. Thanks for the help. One other question though. Do you know if the timer could start instantaneously when one sensor passed the other? I need it to be an accurate measurement so if it takes a tenth of a second to start even it won't work.

Thanks again.

The timing systems for athletic events are quite accurate. The main variable is how close the chips have to pass near the sensors. You can probably get specs on the systems by following some of the links in the Google Images URL, or by doing your own refined Google search.

berkeman said:
The timing systems for athletic events are quite accurate. The main variable is how close the chips have to pass near the sensors. You can probably get specs on the systems by following some of the links in the Google Images URL, or by doing your own refined Google search.

Yeah that's exactly what it would be for, an athletic event. I didn't know they used RFID for that, but if so then that's perfect. Thanks again.

1. How do I conduct research and gather data for my experiment?

The first step is to clearly define your research question and hypothesis. Then, you can use various methods such as surveys, experiments, or observations to collect data. Make sure to use reliable and ethical sources for your research.

2. What are the steps to designing a successful experiment?

First, identify the variables in your experiment and determine how to control them. Then, create a detailed plan with step-by-step procedures for conducting the experiment. Make sure to have a control group and enough sample size for accurate results. Lastly, analyze and interpret your data to draw conclusions.

3. How can I ensure the validity and reliability of my results?

To ensure validity, make sure your experiment accurately measures what it intends to measure. This can be achieved through proper control of variables and using appropriate research methods. To ensure reliability, repeat your experiment multiple times and compare results to ensure consistency.

4. How do I properly document and present my research findings?

Start by organizing your data and results in a clear and concise manner. Use graphs, tables, and charts to visually represent your data. Then, write a detailed report including your research question, methodology, results, and conclusions. Make sure to cite any sources used.

5. What are some ethical considerations to keep in mind when conducting research?

Always obtain informed consent from participants before conducting research. Protect the confidentiality and privacy of participants by using anonymous data and keeping personal information confidential. Also, consider potential risks and benefits to participants and ensure your research is conducted in an ethical and responsible manner.