Two impossible crossproduct problems

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems. The first problem involves proving that |UxV|2 = |U|2+|V|2 - (U*V)2 without spending an hour using algebra. The suggested solution is to rewrite U·V and |U×V| in terms of |U|, |V| and the angle between U and V and use the identity \cos^2x+\sin^2x=1. The second problem involves finding a vector C so that AxB = AxC, where C =! B. The solution is to choose C = B + V, where V is any vector parallel to A.
Nikitin
Hi, I really need some help here.. Vectors remind me why I hate geomtery.

problem 1: Prove that |UxV|2 = |U|2+|V|2 - (U*V)2

How can I prove that these two are equal without spending 1 hour using algebra? Maybe there is some geometry quirk that I'm not seeing?

problem 2: We have two vectors A=[1,1,1] and B=[1,2,3]

Find a vector C so that AxB = AxC, where C =! B.

I tried using algebra on this but I just ended up with crazy expressions for Cx, Cy and Cz where each of them were dependent on the others.

So.. Is there some other way? All help is appreciated =)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would also like to point out that I haven't learned yet about things like the ratio between sine(x) and cosine(x), so pls if possible tell me this can be solved by simple algebra or by using geometry?

Last edited:
For the second one, since it just asks for a vector C not equal to B, the easiest thing to do would be to choose C = B + V, where V is some vector such that A x V = 0. Do you know what kinds of vectors have that property?

Nikitin said:
problem 1: Prove that |UxV|2 = |U|2+|V|2 - (U*V)2

How can I prove that these two are equal without spending 1 hour using algebra? Maybe there is some geometry quirk that I'm not seeing?
Do you know how to rewrite U·V and |U×V| in terms of |U|, |V| and the angle between U and V. You need to use those identities, and also [itex]\cos^2x+\sin^2x=1[/itex].

Last edited:
Mute said:
For the second one, since it just asks for a vector C not equal to B, the easiest thing to do would be to choose C = B + V, where V is some vector such that A x V = 0. Do you know what kinds of vectors have that property?

ahh, so AxC = Ax(B + V) = AxB + AxV where AxV=0.

Very cunning. Yes, V equals any vector which is pararell with A. Thank you 4 the help!

Fredrik said:
Do you know how to rewrite U·V and |U×V| in terms of |U|, |V| and the angle between U and V. You need to use those identities, and also [itex]\cos^2x+\sin^2x=1[/itex].

Sure, |U|2*|V|2 - |U|2*|V|2*cos(x)2= |U|2*|V|2(1-cos(x)2)=|U|2*|V|2(sine(x)2)=|UxV|2

correct? tho we haven't learned about the 1=cos(x)^2 + sine(x)^2 trick in my maths class so maybe there is another way to prove it?

thank u very much 4 the help anyways

Last edited:

1. What are "Two impossible crossproduct problems"?

"Two impossible crossproduct problems" are mathematical problems that involve finding the cross product of two vectors that cannot be solved using traditional methods. These problems usually involve vectors that are linearly dependent or in the same direction.

2. Can these problems be solved using any other methods?

Yes, there are alternative methods that can be used to solve these types of problems. Some examples include using geometric visualization or applying advanced mathematical concepts such as determinants and matrices.

3. Why are these problems considered impossible?

These problems are considered impossible because traditional methods of finding the cross product rely on the vectors being linearly independent and not parallel. When these conditions are not met, the cross product cannot be calculated using the standard formula.

4. Are there any real-world applications for "Two impossible crossproduct problems"?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for these types of problems, especially in fields such as physics and engineering. For example, these problems may arise when calculating the moment of inertia of an object or determining the torque on a rotating object.

5. How can one approach solving "Two impossible crossproduct problems"?

One approach to solving these problems is to first identify that the traditional method will not work due to the vectors being linearly dependent or parallel. Then, alternative methods such as geometric visualization or advanced mathematical concepts can be used to find the cross product.