Divergence Theorem Problem Using Multiple Arbitrary Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the manipulation of two arbitrary fields into a single one, which can then be substituted into various equations. The main issue is that the initial combination of the two fields needs to have a negative instead of a positive in order to arrive at the desired expression. The same problem exists for the vector portion of the question, where the desired form can be obtained if the initial combination of the two fields produces a negative instead of a positive.
JackofTrades
Homework Statement
Letting a(r) and b(r) be arbitrary scalar fields, use the Divergence theorem(for an arbitrary closed surface S, enclosing a volume V) to show: $$ \int dS · (a∇b−b∇a) = \int V \,dV (a(∇^2)b − b(∇^2)a).$$

Show that, where u and v are arbitrary vector fields: $$ \int S dS·[u×(∇×v)−v×(∇×u)] =\int VdV [v·(∇×[∇×u])−u·(∇×[∇×v])], $$ where S is an arbitrary closed surface, enclosing a volume V.
Relevant Equations
##\int dS · A = \int dV ∇·A ##
My main issue with this question is the manipulation of the two arbitrary fields into a single one which can then be substituted into the divergence theorem and worked through to the given algebraic forms.

My attempt:

$$ ∇(ab) = a∇b + b∇a $$

Subsituting into the Eq. gives $$ \int dS · (a∇b+b∇a) = \int V \, dV ∇·(a∇b+b∇a) $$ $$ \int dS · (a∇b+b∇a) = \int V \, dV ( ∇a∇b + a ∇^2 b + ∇b∇a + b ∇^2 a) $$ $$ \int dS · (a∇b+b∇a) = \int V \, dV ( 2∇a∇b + a ∇^2 b + b ∇^2 a) $$
Which would give me the required expression if my initial combination of the two arbitrary fields had a negative in, but I can't figure out how to get to that point.

The same problem exists for the vector portion of the question

$$ ∇(u·v) = u x (∇ x v) + v x (∇ x u) + (u · ∇)v + (v · ∇)u $$

Where I believe that it would cancel to the form required if the intial combination of the two fields produced a negative rather than a positive.

Physics news on Phys.org
JackofTrades said:
show: $$ \int dS · (a∇b−b∇a) = \int V \,dV (a(∇^2)b − b(∇^2)a).$$
My attempt:
Subsituting into the Eq. gives ## \int dS · (a∇b+b∇a) = \int V \, dV ∇·(a∇b+b∇a) ##
Don't you want to consider ## \int dS · (a∇b-b∇a) = \int_{\small{V}} \, dV ∇·(a∇b-b∇a) ##?

1. What is the Divergence Theorem Problem Using Multiple Arbitrary Fields?

The Divergence Theorem is a mathematical principle that relates the surface integral of a vector field to the volume integral of the divergence of that field. This problem involves applying the Divergence Theorem to multiple arbitrary vector fields.

2. What is the significance of this problem in science?

The Divergence Theorem is an important tool in various fields of science, particularly in physics and engineering. It allows for the calculation of flux, or the flow of a vector field through a surface, which is crucial in understanding fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

3. How is the Divergence Theorem Problem Using Multiple Arbitrary Fields solved?

This problem is solved by first calculating the divergence of each individual vector field, and then taking the volume integral of the sum of these divergences. This result is then compared to the surface integral of the combined vector field to verify the Divergence Theorem.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Divergence Theorem Problem Using Multiple Arbitrary Fields?

The Divergence Theorem has many practical applications, such as calculating fluid flow rates in pipes, determining the electric charge enclosed within a surface, and analyzing the behavior of magnetic fields in different materials.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions to consider when using the Divergence Theorem for this problem?

Yes, the Divergence Theorem assumes that the vector field is continuous and differentiable, and that the surface and volume being considered are closed and bounded. Additionally, this theorem is only applicable to three-dimensional vector fields.