Rate of spin being equal in x and y axis

In summary, the principles of angular momentum allow a spinning bicycle wheel to remain stable and upright even when it is spinning in two planes, as long as no external forces are acting on it.
Robin07
I've asked my self this question. How is it that when you spin a bicycle wheel in a vertical plane while holding the axil only on one side that the whole essembly doesn't comes tumbling down. OK, now I know how that is possible. What I'm wondering now is if you take that essembly and rotate it as fast in a horizontal spin as well. My though process to this would be to imagine it suspended by a cord from above that could spin it in a horizontal plane. Do the same principal apply but on two planes?

Physics news on Phys.org
The same principles that apply when the wheel is spinning in a vertical plane will also apply when it is spinning in a horizontal plane. The angular momentum of the wheel will keep it spinning as long as no external force is acting on it to slow it down or change its direction. This means that the assembly will continue to remain stable and upright even when it is spinning in two planes. The fact that the axil is only held on one side does not matter, as long as the angular momentum of the wheel keeps it spinning in the same direction.

1. What is meant by "rate of spin being equal in x and y axis"?

Rate of spin refers to the speed at which an object is rotating. When we say the rate of spin is equal in the x and y axis, it means that the object is rotating at the same speed along both the horizontal (x) and vertical (y) axes.

2. Why is it important for the rate of spin to be equal in x and y axis?

Having equal rate of spin in both the x and y axis ensures that the object maintains its stability and balance. This is especially important for objects like satellites or aircrafts that need to maintain a steady and controlled rotation.

3. How is the rate of spin in x and y axis measured?

The rate of spin in x and y axis can be measured using gyroscopes or accelerometers. These devices use sensors to detect the rotation and acceleration of an object and provide measurements of the rate of spin in each axis.

4. What happens if the rate of spin is not equal in x and y axis?

If the rate of spin is not equal in x and y axis, the object may experience wobbling or tumbling motion, which can lead to loss of control and stability. This can be dangerous for objects that require precise and controlled rotation.

5. Can the rate of spin be adjusted to be equal in x and y axis?

Yes, the rate of spin can be adjusted by changing the speed of rotation in one of the axes or by using gyroscopic stabilization techniques. This can help maintain equal rate of spin in both axes and ensure stability and balance of the object.