Understanding Attenuation Lengths for Radioactive Materials in Hollow Spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating a random length L for the flight distance to the point of absorption in a scenario involving a small solid sphere within a big hollow sphere. It is suggested to add the lengths in the materials if they are equal, or to recalculate using a new length for the outer material if L is longer than the flight distance in the inner object.
Marioqwe
Hello, I am reading this article in wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attenuation_length about attenuation lengths and there is something I'm hoping someone here can explain to me.

Lets say I have one small solid sphere and one big hollow sphere. And let's say I put the small sphere within the hollow part of the big one.
Now, somehow the small sphere is radioactive and it emits gamma rays. The big sphere is made of a different material (not radioactive). Also, let's say I have solved the equation in the wiki article for the length L = -λln(rand(0,1)). Then, I solve for L using λ for the radioactive material. But what happens if this L happens to be big enough to exit the first material and it goes into the second one. Would I have to calculate L again using λ for the non-radioactive material?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to calculate a random length L (for a single particle) for the flight distance to the point of absorption? In this case, if both materials are equal, just add the lengths in the materials. Alternatively, if L is longer than the flight distance in the inner object, do the same calculation again for the outer object, with a new L' for the length in this material only.

mfb said:
You want to calculate a random length L (for a single particle) for the flight distance to the point of absorption?

Exactly.

mfb said:
In this case, if both materials are equal, just add the lengths in the materials. Alternatively, if L is longer than the flight distance in the inner object, do the same calculation again for the outer object, with a new L' for the length in this material only.

Thank you.

1. What is an attenuation length for radioactive materials in hollow spheres?

An attenuation length refers to the distance that a radioactive particle can travel through a material before its energy is significantly reduced. In the case of hollow spheres, it is the distance that a radioactive particle can travel through the air-filled space within the sphere.

2. Why is it important to understand attenuation lengths for radioactive materials in hollow spheres?

Understanding attenuation lengths can help scientists determine the appropriate thickness of shielding material needed to protect against radiation emitted from the radioactive material inside the hollow sphere. It also helps in predicting the spread of radiation and assessing potential health risks.

3. How is the attenuation length for radioactive materials in hollow spheres calculated?

The attenuation length is calculated by taking the inverse of the linear attenuation coefficient, which is the measure of how much a material attenuates or reduces the intensity of radiation passing through it. This coefficient is dependent on the type and energy of radiation, as well as the properties of the material it is passing through.

4. What factors can affect the attenuation length for radioactive materials in hollow spheres?

The attenuation length can be affected by the type of radiation emitted, the energy of the radiation, the density and composition of the material inside the hollow sphere, and the distance the radiation must travel through the material.

5. How can scientists use knowledge of attenuation lengths for radioactive materials in hollow spheres in their research?

Scientists can use this information to design experiments and studies involving radioactive materials in hollow spheres, as well as to develop and improve radiation detection and shielding methods. It can also aid in the safe handling and storage of radioactive materials.