Is a Spouse Necessary for Fulfillment?

• Thread starter rogerk8
  • Start date
In summary, Roger thinks that people tend to NEED a companion in life because it's a lonely life, that it comes from society, and that it's evolutionary. He also says that you don't technically need any friends, let alone a partner, but that they make life more enjoyable. He says that spending time with loved ones that you can share life experiences with quite rewarding. He says that introverts are portrayed as a negative in western culture but that it's not acceptable for all. He says that sometimes life will drop a good thing in your lap but that you have to go out and look for it. END In summary, Roger thinks that we don't need a spouse and that we should find peace within ourselves. He thinks that having a
rogerk8
Hi!

I wonder why we need a companion in life.

Let's face it, we might as well live alone.

Lonelyness is a boring kind of life but who has actually told us it is "wrong"?

When it comes to sex you can have sex with yourself and it need not be so bad.

Yet we think we need someone.

Many people would say this is evoloutionary.

I say it comes from parents, society and media.

We don't need a spouse.

We need to find peace within ourselves.

Be in peace with who you are and stop feeling like a loser because you can't find your spouse.

He/she will come to you when the time is right.

In the meantime, try to keep your hopes up and do not ever think you are a loser if you happen to be unwillingly alone!

Roger

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it was ever claimed we need a spouse? I never heard of that. Many people want one, some dont.

You only need a spouse if you're married.

Likes 1 person
SW VandeCarr said:
You only need a spouse if you're married.
:tongue:

A life decision
Will you be sane or not lonely?

rogerk8 said:
Hi!

We don't.

It's not wrong. It's just lonely.

I know of no one who is physically capable of having sex with themselves. And even if you could, I don't think it would be nearly as much fun as it is with someone else. Kind of like how playing catch naked with yourself isn't nearly as much fun as it is with someone else.

I would say the need to be with someone else is built in through evolution.

We don't need a spouse.

Be in peace with who you are and stop feeling like a loser because you can't find your spouse.

Some itches you just can't scratch by yourself.

Meh. I've never believed this.

In the meantime, try to keep your hopes up and do not ever think you are a loser if you happen to be unwillingly alone!

Roger

Agreed!

rogerk8 said:

You don't technically need any friends, let alone a partner but they make life a whole lot more enjoyable. Most people find that spending time with loved ones that they can share life experiences with quite rewarding.

rogerk8 said:

See above.

rogerk8 said:

I do agree that western culture portrays introverts as a negative but just because it is for some people doesn't mean it's acceptable for all.

rogerk8 said:

Technically you can't. That's by the by though, I'll simply say that this point links with my first. Sure you can do many things by yourself but sharing the experience, especially with a loved one, can be rewarding in a way that going solo just can't be.

rogerk8 said:

If you mean "need" as in "important for a satisfying and rewarding life" then yes it is needed.

rogerk8 said:

Humans are social animals, ones that seem predisposed to serial monogamy, so it certainly has an evolutionary component.

rogerk8 said:
We don't need a spouse.

See "need" definition above.

rogerk8 said:

Having a partner and being at peace with yourself are not mutually exclusive.

rogerk8 said:

I agree that people shouldn't feel too cut up about being single but that's not a reason not to ever pursue a relationship.

rogerk8 said:

Sometimes life will drop a good thing in your lap but a lot of the time you have to go out and look for it.

rogerk8 said:

Agreed. But as I said already being content with oneself and wanting a relationship aren't mutually exclusive as your thread title would suggest.

This went down hill, post deleted, thread closed.

What is the purpose of having a spouse?

Having a spouse serves many purposes, including emotional support, companionship, and the formation of a family unit. A spouse can also provide practical support in terms of household duties, financial stability, and decision-making.

Does having a spouse increase happiness?

Research has shown that having a supportive and loving spouse can contribute to overall happiness and well-being. However, the key to a happy marriage is communication, compromise, and a strong commitment to each other.

Are there any health benefits to having a spouse?

Studies have found that married individuals tend to have better physical and mental health compared to those who are single or divorced. This could be due to the emotional and social support provided by a spouse, as well as the encouragement to maintain healthy habits.

Can a person be happy without a spouse?

While having a spouse can bring many benefits, it is not necessary for everyone to be happy. Many individuals find fulfillment and joy in other relationships, such as friendships, family, and career. Ultimately, happiness is a subjective experience and can be achieved in different ways.

Why is marriage considered important in society?

Marriage has been a long-standing institution in many cultures and is seen as a symbol of commitment and stability. It also provides legal and social benefits, such as tax breaks, inheritance rights, and social recognition. However, the importance of marriage may vary depending on personal beliefs and cultural values.