FE Exam Discipline: Career Prospects & Difficulty

• Thread starter NewGuy1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the traditional FE exam has been replaced with a new, more discipline-specific, computer-based exam. As a chemical engineering major, you are wondering if taking the FE exam in a specific discipline (such as environmental engineering) will hinder your career prospects. It is ultimately up to you to decide which version of the exam to take, and you can compare the topics for both versions on the NCEES website. There is no "tougher" version of the exam, as it all depends on your preparation and familiarity with the material. It is important to verify if you are allowed to take the other disciplines version before making a decision. Best of luck on the exam.
NewGuy1
Hey,
I am taking the FE exam next year and need advice on the discipline to take it in. I am majoring in chemical engineering and would like to make a career in the Environmental engineering side. Will taking the FE exam in a specific discipline hinder my career prospects? Also, is the general (Other Disciplines) Exam tougher than specific discipline exams?

Physics news on Phys.org
The traditional pencil and paper, 8 hour, two part FE exam has just finished its final iteration. Starting in January the tests are now 6 hour, more discipline specific, computer based exams.

I still believe it's up to you as to whether you choose your own discipline or the other disciplines version. If you are still allowed to choose the other disciplines (which I suspect you can), then it will still not hinder you as far as your career is concerned. My first suggestion is to read through the topics for both the chemical and other disciplines versions of the tests. These are available on the NCEES website. Then determine whether you'd even be more comfortable taking the other disciplines version. I personally took my discipline specific version (mechanical), because I didn't want to have to review/learn some of the topics on the other disciplines version. It was much easier to do more/harder material that I have continually covered in my curriculum vs studying material that was either not taught or quickly forgotten.

If you then feel better about the other disciplines version, then you can verify that you are allowed to take it. Again, my thoughts are that it's up to you, but I don't see it posted for certain either way under the description of the completely new test that you will be taking. My suggestion is to make sure for yourself because if anyone offers advice based on what they have previously done, it might not apply to this new test.

Your best bet is to realize that there is no "tougher" version. It is all relative to what you have done, can successfully do, or how you would like to study for the exam. For myself, I was allowed to use my score (TBPE provides an actual normalized score, regardless of what NCEES says about not providing any scores) to replace my final exam grade in my capstone courses. I worked very hard for the test, and after taking it, realized how overprepared I was in the case that I was simply trying to pass. I would have said that simply being proficient in my previous coursework, and maybe some slight refreshing, was more than enough to simply pass the exam.

Note again, that my comments are based on the old test. There is no metric yet for the new one. Best of luck.

FAQ: FE Exam Discipline: Career Prospects & Difficulty

1. What is the FE exam and what disciplines can I take it in?

The FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) exam is a standardized test administered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES). It is the first step in the process of becoming a licensed professional engineer. The exam is offered in various disciplines including civil, mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering.

2. How will passing the FE exam benefit my career prospects?

Passing the FE exam is a required step in becoming a licensed professional engineer, which can greatly enhance your career prospects. It demonstrates your competency and knowledge in your chosen engineering discipline, making you more marketable to potential employers and clients. It also allows you to work on larger and more complex projects, and potentially earn a higher salary.

3. What are the difficulty and pass rates for the FE exam?

The difficulty of the FE exam can vary based on your level of preparation and familiarity with the material. However, the NCEES provides a practice exam and reference materials to help you prepare. The pass rates for the FE exam also vary by discipline, but on average, about 70% of test takers pass the exam.

4. How long is the FE exam and what type of questions can I expect?

The FE exam is an 8-hour computer-based exam, split into a morning and afternoon session with a lunch break in between. The morning session consists of 120 multiple-choice questions, while the afternoon session consists of 60 multiple-choice questions. The questions will cover a variety of topics in your chosen discipline, including mathematics, engineering sciences, and engineering economics.

5. How can I prepare for the FE exam?

There are various resources available to help you prepare for the FE exam, including study materials and review courses offered by professional organizations and universities. It is also important to familiarize yourself with the exam format and content, and to practice with sample questions and the NCEES practice exam. Time management and studying consistently leading up to the exam are also key to success.

Back