Solving Gaussian Integral: Stuck on Step

In summary, the conversation revolves around a stuck individual trying to solve a Gaussian integral. They have provided several equations and are unsure of what to do next. They also mention changing \tex to /tex and question the clarity of their equations.
smallgirl
Hey,

I am rather stuck on this gaussian integral...

I have come this far, and not sure what to do now:

[tex]\int dh_{01}(\frac{h_{01}}{\sigma})^{2}+\frac{\Delta k^{2}(t-x)^{2}h_{01}}{2}-ik_{0}(t-x)h_{01}[\tex]

[tex]\int dh_{01}(\frac{h_{01}}{\sigma})^{2}+k_{0}(t-x)h_{01}(-i+\frac{\Delta k^{2}(t-x)}{2k_{0}})
[\tex]

[tex]\int dh_{01}(-((\frac{h_{01}}{\sigma}-\frac{\sigma}{2}k_{0}(t-x)\int dh_{01}(\frac{h_{01}}{\sigma})^{2}+k_{0}(t-x)h_{01}(-i+\frac{\Delta k^{2}(t-x)}{2k_{0}}))[\tex]

[tex]\int dh_{01}(\frac{h_{01}}{\sigma})^{2}+k_{0}(t-x)h_{01}(-i+\frac{\Delta k^{2}(t-x)}{2k_{0}}))^{2})-\frac{\sigma^{2}}{4}(t-x)^{2}k_{0}^{2}(-i+\frac{\Delta k^{2}(t-x)}{2k_{0}})^{2}[\tex]

where a=-1 b=1/2

Not sure what to do now...

Physics news on Phys.org
smallgirl said:
Hey,

I am rather stuck on this gaussian integral...

I have come this far, and not sure what to do now:

[tex]\int dh_{01}(\frac{h_{01}}{\sigma})^{2}+\frac{\Delta k^{2}(t-x)^{2}h_{01}}{2}-ik_{0}(t-x)h_{01}[/tex]

[tex]\int dh_{01}(\frac{h_{01}}{\sigma})^{2}+k_{0}(t-x)h_{01}(-i+\frac{\Delta k^{2}(t-x)}{2k_{0}})
[/tex]

[tex]\int dh_{01}(-((\frac{h_{01}}{\sigma}-\frac{\sigma}{2}k_{0}(t-x)\int dh_{01}(\frac{h_{01}}{\sigma})^{2}+k_{0}(t-x)h_{01}(-i+\frac{\Delta k^{2}(t-x)}{2k_{0}}))[/tex]

[tex]\int dh_{01}(\frac{h_{01}}{\sigma})^{2}+k_{0}(t-x)h_{01}(-i+\frac{\Delta k^{2}(t-x)}{2k_{0}}))^{2})-\frac{\sigma^{2}}{4}(t-x)^{2}k_{0}^{2}(-i+\frac{\Delta k^{2}(t-x)}{2k_{0}})^{2}[/tex]

where a=-1 b=1/2

Not sure what to do now...

You need to change \tex to /tex. Even so, the equations look wierd. It is not at all clear what you are doing.

Last edited:

What is a Gaussian integral?

A Gaussian integral is a type of definite integral that involves the Gaussian function, also known as the normal distribution function. It is commonly used in statistics and probability to calculate the area under a bell-shaped curve.

How do you solve a Gaussian integral?

To solve a Gaussian integral, you can use a variety of methods such as integration by parts, substitution, or completing the square. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the integral and your personal preference.

What is the purpose of solving a Gaussian integral?

Solving a Gaussian integral can help in calculating probabilities and finding the expected value of a random variable. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model real-life scenarios and make predictions.

What are some common challenges when solving a Gaussian integral?

One common challenge when solving a Gaussian integral is determining the limits of integration. Another challenge can be finding an appropriate method to use, as some integrals may require multiple steps or advanced techniques to solve.

What resources can I use to help me solve a Gaussian integral?

There are various resources available to help you solve Gaussian integrals, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and mathematical software programs. You can also seek assistance from a math tutor or consult with other colleagues or experts in the field.