Calculating Tension in a Pulley Weight System

In summary, if two weights W1 and W2 are suspended from the ends of a light string passing over a smooth fixed pulley and the pulley is pulled up with an acceleration of 'g', the tension in the string can be calculated using the formula [tex]\frac{4w_{1}w_{2}}{w_{1} + w_{2}}[/tex]. To find the acceleration, assuming the pulley is not accelerating, both masses will be accelerated upwards at g. This will result in an additional tension in the string.
konichiwa2x
Two weights W1 and W2 are suspended from the ends of a light string passing over a smooth fixed pulley. If the pulley is pulled up at an acceleration 'g', then what will be the tension in the string? Solution : [te
x]\frac{4w_{1}w_{2}}{w_{1} + w_{2)}[/tex]

I have calculated that the tension in the spring assuming that the pulley is not accelerating. I know to find the acceleration also(if the pulley is not acclerating). How do I proceed?

thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: both the masses will be accelerated upwards at g. So what will be the additional tension in the string.

thanks! I got it.

Related to Calculating Tension in a Pulley Weight System

1. How do pulleys affect weight?

Pulleys can make it easier to lift heavy objects by distributing the weight over multiple ropes or cables.

2. What is the formula for calculating the weight on a pulley system?

The formula for calculating the weight on a pulley system is W = F x d, where W is the weight, F is the applied force, and d is the distance the weight is lifted.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the weight that can be lifted?

The more pulleys used in a system, the less force is required to lift an object. This is because the weight is distributed over multiple ropes, reducing the force needed to lift it.

4. What is the difference between a fixed and movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted. A fixed pulley changes the direction of the force, while a movable pulley reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object.

5. Can pulleys be used to decrease weight?

No, pulleys cannot decrease the weight of an object. They can only distribute the weight over multiple ropes, making it easier to lift the object.