Find the load saved by a pulley system

In summary: L2 to bottom of L1 is Δx.In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of three strings in a system, with one pulling P, one pulling F, and one pulling a pulley. The tension on the string pulling the pulley and the string pulling P are both 2T, and the gravitational acceleration is represented as g. It is mentioned that P will move twice as fast as F, and the equations T=60(af+g) and T=45(g-ap) are used to solve for the tension and acceleration. The conversation also includes a discussion about the length of the strings and how it affects the overall system.
Ithilrandir
Homework Statement
None of the identical gondolas can support both the loads of P and F. Giuseppe rigs them up from the mass as shown in the diagram, using massless ropes and massless, frictionless pulleys. He ferries them across before they hit either the mast or the deck. Assuming P's mass is 90kg and F's mass is 60kg, how much load W does Giuseppe save?

Hint: Remember that the tension in a massless cord that passes over a massless, frictionless pulley is the same on both sides of the pulley.
Relevant Equations
There are 3 different strings in this system. The one pulling P, the one pulling F and the one pulling a pulley. Since the questions says they're ferried across before hitting mast or deck, I'm assuming that they are not stationary.

g is gravitational acceleration.

P will move twice as fast as F, so ap = 2 af

60af = T- 60g

Tension on the string pulling the pulley and the string pulling P are both 2T

90ap = 90g - 2T

T=60(af+g)
T=45(g - ap)

150af = -15g

af = - 0.1g

T= 54g

Load = 3T = 162g

From this it doesn't look like any load was saved at all. The answer indicates a load saved of 2.7g.

Attachments

• IMG_20210128_143905.jpg
    IMG_20210128_143905.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 80
Physics news on Phys.org
Ithilrandir said:
P will move twice as fast as F
How do you arrive at that?
The reliable way to work these things out, as in the earlier thread, is to look at how movements affect the lengths of string sections and note that the whole string has constant length.
Ithilrandir said:
150af = -15g
60+45=?

Likes Steve4Physics and PeroK
haruspex said:
How do you arrive at that?
The reliable way to work these things out, as in the earlier thread, is to look at how movements affect the lengths of string sections and note that the whole string has constant length.
I arrived at that from looking at how it moves. F go up by 1 unit, it will run down the pulley and go up again resulting in P lowered by 2 units.

As for 60+45 I had substituted the a.

Ithilrandir said:
F go up by 1 unit, it will run down the pulley and go up again resulting in P lowered by 2 units.
As I wrote, the reliable way is to add up the lengths. Try it.
Ithilrandir said:
As for 60+45 I had substituted the a.
That doesn't answer my question. You seem to have got 60+45=150.

Likes Steve4Physics
haruspex said:
As I wrote, the reliable way is to add up the lengths. Try it.

That doesn't answer my question. You seem to have got 60+45=150.

ap = 2 af
T=60(af+g)
T=45(g - ap)

60(af+g) = 45(g - 2af), from

ap = 2 af

As for adding lengths I don't find it as straight forward. The right vertical decrease by Δx, the left vertical increase by Δx, the missing Δx I can't see it.

Ithilrandir said:
ap = 2 af
T=60(af+g)
T=45(g - ap)

60(af+g) = 45(g - 2af), from

ap = 2 af
I'm not sure why you have copied that out again.
In post #2 I challenged the 150 in "150af = -15g". Seems to me you added 60 and 45 and got 150.
Ithilrandir said:
As for adding lengths I don't find it as straight forward. The right vertical decrease by Δx, the left vertical increase by Δx, the missing Δx I can't see it.
You are not finding your current method straightforward, since it is giving the wrong answer.
There are three straight sections, all vertical.
Working from the left, call them L1, L2 and L3.
If the total length is L, what two equations can you write that relate them?

Likes Steve4Physics
haruspex said:
I'm not sure why you have copied that out again.
In post #2 I challenged the 150 in "150af = -15g". Seems to me you added 60 and 45 and got 150.
Well I just replaced the ap with 2 af
45 x 2 af is where the 90 comes from.

haruspex said:
You are not finding your current method straightforward, since it is giving the wrong answer.
There are three straight sections, all vertical.
Working from the left, call them L1, L2 and L3.
If the total length is L, what two equations can you write that relate them?

ΔL1 + ΔL2 + ΔL3 = 0?

Ithilrandir said:
Well I just replaced the ap with 2 af
45 x 2 af is where the 90 comes from.
You seem to be deliberately misunderstanding my point!
I'll try one more time. In post #1 you wrote:
Ithilrandir said:
T=60(af+g)
T=45(g - ap)
150af = -15g
Where did that 150 come from? 60+45=105, not 150
Ithilrandir said:
ΔL1 + ΔL2 + ΔL3 = 0?
Yes, the sum of the lengths is constant, but there is an even simpler equation relating the first two. Just look at the diagram.

Last edited:
Likes Steve4Physics
haruspex said:
You seem to be deliberately misunderstanding my point!
😅I'll type all the steps I wrote.

ap = 2 af -------1
T=60(af+g) -------- 2
T=45(g - ap) ------- 3

60(af + g) = 45(g - ap) - - - 4

Subbing 1 into 4, replacing ap with 2af,

60af + 60g = 45g - 45(2)af

60af + 60g = 45g - 90af

150 af = - 15g

haruspex said:
Yes, the sum of the lengths is constant, but there is an even simpler equation relating the first two. Just look at the diagram.
I don't think I can see it in terms of length. L3 contracts by Δx, L1 contracts by Δx, L2 extends by 2Δx?

Ithilrandir said:
I'll type all the steps I wrote.
My apologies - didn't notice one was a and one was ar.
Ithilrandir said:
I don't think I can see it in terms of length. L3 contracts by Δx, L1 contracts by Δx, L2 extends by 2Δx?
Ignore L3 for the moment. If the left hand pulley rises by Δx, what happens to L1 and L2?

haruspex said:
Ignore L3 for the moment. If the left hand pulley rises by Δx, what happens to L1 and L2?
If the left pulley rises by Δx, both L1 and L2 will decrease by Δx.

You have had the issue pointed out several times by @haruspex! Here are 3 direct questions for you:

Q1. If P moves down 1cm, what does F do? Ask yourself how much longer or shorter each section of string is, given that the total length is fixed!

Q2. Which has the greater acceleration, P or F?

Q3. Is "ap = 2 af" correct?

Ithilrandir said:
If the left pulley rises by Δx, both L1 and L2 will decrease by Δx.
So what equation does the give you relating ΔL1 and ΔL2?

haruspex said:
So what equation does the give you relating ΔL1 and ΔL2?
ΔL1 = ΔL2, so in that case ΔL3 = 2 Δx?

Ithilrandir said:
ΔL1 = ΔL2, so in that case ΔL3 = 2 Δx?
Yes, assuming you are taking the change in the other two as -Δx.

haruspex said:
Yes, assuming you are taking the change in the other two as -Δx.
I was able to solve it with this change. That said I still feel a little iffy about this method. I'll have to read up more on this.

1. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system is a simple machine that uses a wheel with a groove and a rope or cable to change the direction of a force. The load is attached to one end of the rope and the other end is pulled to lift the load. The more pulleys are used in the system, the less force is required to lift the load.

2. What is the purpose of using a pulley system?

The purpose of using a pulley system is to make it easier to lift heavy objects. By using multiple pulleys, the load is distributed among the ropes and the force required to lift it is reduced. This makes it possible for a single person to lift heavy objects that would otherwise be impossible to lift alone.

3. How do you calculate the load saved by a pulley system?

The load saved by a pulley system is calculated by dividing the weight of the load by the number of ropes supporting it. For example, if a load weighs 100 pounds and is supported by 4 ropes, the load saved by the pulley system would be 25 pounds (100 pounds/4 ropes = 25 pounds).

4. Can a pulley system be used to lift any load?

No, a pulley system has its limitations and cannot lift an unlimited amount of weight. The weight of the load, the strength of the ropes, and the number of pulleys in the system all play a role in determining the maximum weight that can be lifted. It is important to always follow the weight limit guidelines for the specific pulley system being used.

5. Are there different types of pulley systems?

Yes, there are different types of pulley systems such as fixed, movable, and compound pulleys. Fixed pulleys have a stationary axle and are used to change the direction of the force. Movable pulleys have a movable axle and are used to multiply the force. Compound pulleys combine fixed and movable pulleys to both change the direction and multiply the force.