Help w/First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

In summary, the first fundamental theorem of calculus states that given a real valued function defined on [a,b] and if we define a new function F (note that little f and big F are two different functions here) byF(x)=integral (lower limit is a, upper limit is x) of f(x) dxthen F(x) is continuous on all x in the closed interval [a,b]. Furthermore, if the function f is continuous at a point u that is inside the closed interval [a,b] then F is differentiable at u and it's derivative is f(u).
Hurricane3
For the first fundamental theorem of calculus, I don't quite understand it...

I think I got the integral part, but not the interval [a,x]...

can you guys help me? thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Well your question is very vague but I will try and address any misunderstanding you may have.

The first fundamental theorem of calculus says that given a real valued function defined on [a,b] and if we define a new function F (note that little f and big F are two different functions here) by

F(x)=integral (lower limit is a, upper limit is x) of f(x) dx

then F(x) is continuous on all x in the closed interval [a,b]. Furthermore, if the function f is continuous at a point u that is inside the closed interval [a,b] then F is differentiable at u and it's derivative is f(u).

the first part of the theorem says that if you change the upper limit of integration a LITTLE bit then the change in integrals is also LITTLE. The second part is just saying that if f is continuous at a point then F is SMOOTH (ie differentiable) at that point and that the derivative operation and integral undo one another.

[a,x] is a subset of [a,b]. It is a fact that if f is integrable on [a,b] and x is a point in the interval [a,b] then f is integrable on [a,x].

hope this helps.

ah i still dun understand...

can we work on an example from the textbook?
The example is:
Find the derivative of
[tex]\intcost dt[/tex] from 0 to [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]
by

a. evaluating the integral and differentiating the result
b. by differentiating the integral directly

for part a.
The integral of cos(t) is sin(t). Thus the integral from 0 to [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] is
sin[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] - sin(0)
= sin[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]
Differentiating that, I get [tex]\frac{cos\sqrt{x}}{2\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

I guess my problem is differentiating an integral directly...

What would happen if its from sin(x) to x? or from 5 to x?

1. What is the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a fundamental concept in calculus that relates the concepts of differentiation and integration. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then the integral of the function can be evaluated by finding an antiderivative of the function at the upper and lower limits of the interval and taking the difference between the two values.

2. How is the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus used in real-world applications?

The First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating areas and volumes, finding the average value of a function, and solving optimization problems. It is also used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world phenomena.

3. What is the difference between the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states the relationship between differentiation and integration, while the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the integral of a function can be evaluated by finding an antiderivative of the function. In other words, the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is used to evaluate definite integrals, while the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is used to find indefinite integrals.

4. How do I use the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to solve problems?

To use the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to solve a problem, first identify the function and the limits of integration. Then, find the antiderivative of the function and evaluate it at the upper and lower limits. Finally, subtract the two values to find the value of the definite integral.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus include forgetting to find the antiderivative of the function, using the wrong limits of integration, and not simplifying the final answer. It is also important to make sure the function is continuous on the given interval before applying the theorem.