Temperature vs Phonons: Exploring the Relationship

In summary: This is why the high limit ω >> T is not a problem. In summary, the relationship between temperature and phonons can be explained through the phonon dispersion relation and Bose-Einstein statistics. At high temperatures, the probability of phonons existing in a certain mode is low, leading to a small number of phonons present. This explains why the high-temperature limit of the specific heat in the quantum theory of crystals is not a problem.
Tipi
Hi!

I was looking at the high- and low-temperature limits of the specific heat in the quantum theory of cristals (Ashcrof&Mermin, Chap. 23).

To get the behavior under these limits, one consider first the case where T is large compared with all the phonon frequencies and second, when T is low compared to these frequencies.

But, the temperature shouldn't be (in some way) proportionnal to the phonon frequency? If this was right, then the low limit [tex]\omega\gg T[/tex] would be a non-sense.

So I realize that I don't really understand the relation between temperature and phonons. Sure, I know that the number of phonon of each type will come to play, but I can't make a whole picture of all that in my head.

Can someone try to explain, or give some refs where this is clearly explained?

Thanks a lot,

TP

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The phonon dispersion relation (the ω-k relationship) is determined only by the lattice properties of the solid, and is not a strong function of temperature. Each point on the ω-k diagram corresponds to some vibrational mode of the system, and since phonons are bosons, the probability that a phonon exists in any given mode is given by Bose-Einstein statistics. Put another way, at every frequency/phonon energy, you have some density-of-states determined by the dispersion relation. But only a fraction of those states are filled, and Bose-Einstein statistics tell you how many are filled at a certain temperature.

Manchot said:
The phonon dispersion relation (the ω-k relationship) is determined only by the lattice properties of the solid, and is not a strong function of temperature. Each point on the ω-k diagram corresponds to some vibrational mode of the system, and since phonons are bosons, the probability that a phonon exists in any given mode is given by Bose-Einstein statistics. Put another way, at every frequency/phonon energy, you have some density-of-states determined by the dispersion relation. But only a fraction of those states are filled, and Bose-Einstein statistics tell you how many are filled at a certain temperature.

Hi Manchot,
Thanks for your answer!

To make my question more precise, thit is the answer that satisfied my curiosity :

There is two quantities that link phonon and temperature : the frequency of the phonon and its probability in the overall distribution. If you isolate T in the distribution, you get :
[tex]T=\frac{\hbar\omega_s(\mathb{k})}{k_B\ln(\frac{1+n_s(\mathb{k})}{n_s(\mathb{k})})}[/tex]

where [tex]\omega[/tex] is the frequency and [tex]n[/tex] its associated probability. So for a given probability, the temperature is proportional to the frequency but for a given frequency the more the probability is small, lower is the temperature.

My question was something like : How can you obtain small temperature from hign phonon frequencies. The answer is simply that these frequencies must have low probability.

Your comments are welcome,

TP

^ Yes, that is correct. At phonon energies considerably higher than the temperature, the occupation fraction is small and so there simply aren't many phonons present.

1. What is the relationship between temperature and phonons?

The relationship between temperature and phonons is that as temperature increases, the number of phonons in a material also increases. This is because temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles, including phonons, in a material. Therefore, at higher temperatures, there is more energy available to create and sustain phonons.

2. How does temperature affect the speed of sound in a material?

As the temperature of a material increases, the speed of sound also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the atoms in a material vibrate more vigorously, which allows sound waves to travel faster through the material.

3. Can temperature changes affect the structural integrity of a material?

Yes, temperature changes can affect the structural integrity of a material. As temperature increases, the atoms in a material vibrate more, which can cause changes in the arrangement of the atoms. This can lead to changes in the material's strength, stiffness, and other mechanical properties.

4. What role do phonons play in thermal conductivity?

Phonons play a crucial role in thermal conductivity. They are responsible for transferring heat energy through a material by colliding with neighboring atoms and passing on their energy. As temperature increases, the number of phonons also increases, leading to a higher thermal conductivity in the material.

5. How do phonons affect the specific heat capacity of a material?

Phonons contribute to the specific heat capacity of a material, which is the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of a unit mass of the material by one degree. As the temperature increases, the number of phonons also increases, leading to an increase in the specific heat capacity of the material.