How Do You Calculate Group Velocity from Phase Velocity?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the group velocity of ripples on a liquid surface, given the phase velocity and the definition of group velocity. There is a discussion about whether the surface tension S is the wavenumber k, and it is clarified that they are not the same. The group velocity is then found by taking the derivative of the frequency with respect to the wavenumber. The conversation also includes a reminder to use the product rule when differentiating.
CollectiveRocker
If a question says: The phase velocity of ripples on the liquid surface is (2πS / λp)^(1/2), where S is the surface tension and p is the density of the liquid. Find the group velocity of the ripples. I know that the phase velocity = omega/k, and group velocity = delta omega/delta k. Do I just take the deriviative of the phase velocity with respect to S?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Is S k?
2.[tex]\frac{d}{dk}(\frac{\omega}{k})=\frac{d\omega}{dk}[/tex]?
is that what you're saying?
Then think again.

S is the surface tension of the liquid. Is there another way to find the group velocity?

You have the definition; wherever have you gotten the idea that the surface tension S is the wavenumber "k"?

I realize that S is not k. Yet how do I do the problem?

Since you have the phase velocity, you may find the frequency [tex]\omega[/tex]
The group velocity is then, by your definition, the derivative of [tex]\omega[/tex] with respect to "k".

How can we find omega if we don't know what k is?

Multiply your phase velocity with k.

then isn't (2πS / λp)^(1/2) a constant?

No, because your wavelength satisfies identically the relation:
[tex]\lambda{k}=2\pi[/tex]
since your expression for ph.vel. is proportional to the square root of the wavelength, your frequency will be proportional to the square root of the wavenumber

this probably sounds really idiotic on my part. I just need to take (dw/dk) of k(2πS / λp)^(1/2), right?

And that will give me the group velocity?

Yes, it will
Differentiate, if you dare..:wink:

product rule?

What is the difference between phase and group velocity?

The phase velocity refers to the speed at which the phase of a wave propagates through space, while the group velocity refers to the speed at which the overall shape or envelope of a wave moves.

How are phase and group velocity related?

In most cases, the phase velocity and group velocity are not equal and are related by the formula Vg=dω/dk, where Vg is the group velocity, ω is the angular frequency, and k is the wavenumber.

What is the significance of phase and group velocity?

Phase and group velocity are important concepts in wave propagation as they determine how a wave behaves in a given medium. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic and acoustic waves.

How do phase and group velocity affect wave phenomena?

The phase and group velocities of a wave can affect its behavior in different ways. For example, in a medium with dispersion, the phase velocity can vary with frequency, while the group velocity remains constant. This can lead to phenomena such as frequency-dependent refraction and dispersion.

Can phase velocity exceed the speed of light?

In classical wave mechanics, the phase velocity cannot exceed the speed of light. However, in certain quantum systems, such as phase velocity of a group of photons, it is possible for the phase velocity to exceed the speed of light. This is known as superluminal phase velocity and is a result of the quantum nature of light.