Finding max velocity for a kart on a circular, banked track

In summary, the car moves around the circle at a speed of 9.25 m/s due to the centripetal force of static friction.
PhysicsNoob2
Homework Statement
You create a banked track of 12 degrees, now what's the maximum linear velocity?
And how would this change if a child was driving the kart instead?
Relevant Equations
F=mv^2/r
F=mg sin(theta)
This is a UK A-Level question that I'm really struggling with, and can't seem to find any resources online that explain it well.

I've been given the following details:
mass of gokart + driver = 520kg
radius of track = 42m
Maximum frictional force between tyres and road on flat track F = 20% weight of kart+driver (104kg)
Bank of track = 12 degrees

And I've calculated the following in earlier questions:
Coefficient of friction = F/N = 0.0204
Angular velocity (Flat track) w = sqrt (F/mr) = 0.069 rad/s
Linear velocity (Flat track) v = sqrt (Fr/m) = 2.898 m/s

Here is my working out for the question I'm stuck on so far:
F (Force down the slope) = mg sin (theta)
F = 520 * 9.8 * sin(12)
F = 1059.51...

v = sqrt (Fr/m)
v = sqrt (1059.51... * 42 / 520)
v = 9.25 m/s (2dp)

I'm certain that I'm doing something wrong here, as this is using the force down the slope and not the centripetal force towards the centre of the track. But I've never seen anywhere that shows me how to calculate this? Or have I got this right and am worrying about nothing?

And when calculating a lighter kart (Taking in to account the child driving), I get the same maximum linear velocity. Is this correct? As intuition would suggest that the kart would move faster with a child in it than with an adult?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to draw a free body diagram (FBD) of the car as it goes around the circle. Note that the circle is horizontal which means that the net force on the car is horizontal. You are correct in that you should not use the downslope force as the centripetal force. Also, you completely ignored the force of static friction between the tires and the incline. It, also, has a horizontal component that contributes to the centripetal acceleration.

Likes PhysicsNoob2 and Lnewqban
Yeah I've realised that I've made some big mistakes on the earlier bits (For example used mass rather than weight for the coefficient of friction calculations), so I'm going to go back and start again. I think I've got the idea now anyway, thanks for the pointers and I'll see how I get on! :)

1. How does the bank angle of a circular track affect the maximum velocity of a kart?

The bank angle of a circular track can greatly affect the maximum velocity of a kart. As the bank angle increases, the centripetal force acting on the kart also increases, allowing the kart to maintain a higher speed without slipping off the track. However, if the bank angle is too steep, the kart may experience too much lateral force and lose traction, resulting in a decrease in maximum velocity.

2. What is the role of friction in determining the maximum velocity of a kart on a circular, banked track?

Friction plays a crucial role in determining the maximum velocity of a kart on a circular, banked track. Friction is responsible for providing the necessary centripetal force to keep the kart on the track as it moves around the curved path. Without enough friction, the kart will slide off the track, and the maximum velocity will be limited.

3. How does the mass of the kart affect its maximum velocity on a circular, banked track?

The mass of the kart does not directly affect its maximum velocity on a circular, banked track. However, a heavier kart may require more centripetal force to maintain a certain speed, which can be achieved by increasing the bank angle or increasing the friction between the kart and the track.

4. Is it possible to calculate the maximum velocity of a kart on a circular, banked track using a mathematical formula?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the maximum velocity of a kart on a circular, banked track using a mathematical formula. The formula takes into account factors such as the bank angle, radius of the track, and coefficient of friction to determine the maximum velocity that the kart can safely travel without slipping off the track.

5. How does the shape of the track affect the maximum velocity of a kart?

The shape of the track can affect the maximum velocity of a kart in several ways. A circular track with a constant radius will allow the kart to maintain a constant speed throughout the entire track. On the other hand, a track with varying radii or sharp turns will require the kart to slow down and then accelerate again, resulting in a lower maximum velocity. Additionally, the shape of the track can also affect the bank angle needed to maintain a certain speed, which can also impact the maximum velocity of the kart.