Easy physics thinking question (conservation of momentum)

In summary, the two football players run into each other at midfield. We can (or cannot) realistically apply conservation of momentum to calculate the players' velocities just after the impact because they are functionally isolated.
airkapp
Two football players run into each other at midfield. We can (or cannot) realistically apply conservation of momentum to calculate the players' velocities just after the impact because

A. The system of interest floats in space.
B. The players are functionally isolated.
C. We can treat the interaction as a collision.
D. Conservation of momentum does not apply here.

I said D because we do not know the masses of the players. Does that sound reasonable/logical/rational?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
D is correct, but it not because you don't know there masses (Where does the problem say you don't? It doesn't give any numerical information!). This is not a "closed system" because the players can apply force to the earth.

My physics teacher just told me the answer was C. Something to do with you know there not in space and there headed for each other. You know there's a collision and transfer of momentum. Therefore, it fits the conservation of momentum model. Something along these lines...

airkapp said:
My physics teacher just told me the answer was C. Something to do with you know there not in space and there headed for each other. You know there's a collision and transfer of momentum. Therefore, it fits the conservation of momentum model. Something along these lines...

WEll ok look at your choices:

A) WEll there certainly aren't in space, and in sapce conservation of momentum applies especially well, so NO.

B) Functional isolation is absurd (because i can't give you a good reason why not)I'm guessing because they actually come in contact that the isolation part doesn't quite work.

D) Conservation of momentum does apply here, whoever said that on Earth when two bodies collide, that conservatoin of momentum does not apply. Factor in friction, air resistance, and you would have an answer given some data

C) WEll i eliminated everything else didn't I? This is almost like the opposite of D and when you take all those factors into account it is a conservation of momentum question.

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before and after a collision remains constant. This means that the total momentum of all objects involved in a collision will be the same before and after the collision, regardless of any external forces acting on the system.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is: p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is measured in units of kilogram meters per second (kg m/s).

3. Can momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, momentum can be transferred between objects in a collision. When two objects collide, the total momentum of the system remains the same, but the individual momentums of each object may change. This is known as momentum transfer.

4. How does an object's mass affect its momentum?

An object's mass directly affects its momentum. The greater the mass of an object, the greater its momentum will be at a given velocity. This means that heavier objects will have more momentum than lighter objects with the same velocity.

5. What is an example of the law of conservation of momentum in everyday life?

A common example of the law of conservation of momentum is billiards or pool. When the cue ball strikes another ball, the momentum of the cue ball is transferred to the other ball, causing it to move. The total momentum of the two balls before and after the collision is the same, demonstrating the conservation of momentum.