Flux through a spherical surface

In summary, the flux of vector field F = -3r through a sphere of radius 5 at the origin is -1500π in the opposite direction of the surface due to the constant magnitude of the field and the orientation of the surface.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Calculate the flux of vector field F = -3r through sphere radius 5 at the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the orientation is always exactly opposite of the orientation of the surface, I expect a negative answer.

Also, since they are along the same direction, and n is a unit vector the dot product must reduce to a multiplication of magnitudes.

(I can't find the vector arrow in itex..! F is a vector and has an arrow above!)

[itex]F \bullet \widehat{n} \Delta A = || F ||\Delta A [/itex]

Which is 300pi over the entire surface area, and since it's in the opposite direction, -300pi.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pardon the bump, but, any ideas? Should I go back to square 1?

Why do you think you are doing anything wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, because my answer was marked incorrect.

F = -3r? I'm not familiar with this format for the vector field. Did you type it correctly? For a vector field, you normally need to specify if -3r is in which direction?
For example: [itex]\vec F = -3r \vec i[/itex]

Normally, i would use the Gauss Divergence theorem to solve this easily.
[tex]\iiint\ div\vec F \,.dV[/tex]

sharks said:
F = -3r? I'm not familiar with this format for the vector field. Did you type it correctly? For a vector field, you normally need to specify if -3r is in which direction?
For example: [itex]\vec F = -3r \vec i[/itex]

Normally, i would use the Gauss Divergence theorem to solve this easily.

No, r is in the direction of radial increase. These aren't Cartesian vectors.

Gauss Divergence is in the next chapter, the professor said it would cut the work down considerably but I think I should learn the basics first.

OK, so i think what you need to learn is how to use surface integral to find flux through a surface, S.

[tex]\iint_S \vec F. \hat n \,.d \sigma[/tex]
where [itex]d\sigma[/itex] is the differential area and [itex]\hat n[/itex] is the unit normal vector outwards from the surface.

I would suggest finding only the upper half of the sphere, where [itex]\hat n[/itex] is positive, and then you multiply your final result (flux) by 2 to get the total flux. But maybe there's a simpler way.

However, according to what i know, you normally first need to have (or in this case, derive) the vector field [itex]\vec F[/itex] in terms of its unit direction vectors.

In your case, the equation of the sphere would be: [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=25[/itex]

Last edited:
sharks said:
OK, so i think what you need to learn is how to use surface integral to find flux through a surface.

[tex]\iint \vec F. \hat n \,.d \sigma[/tex]
where [itex]d\sigma[/itex] is the differential area and [itex]\hat n[/itex] is the unit normal vector outwards from the surface.

Well, yes I know that. That dot product is just a multiplication of magnitudes. F and the sphere's orientation are the same, but opposite, at all points.

And since the vector field is constant magnitude, I can pull it out of integration.

Which leaves me with the integral of differential area multiplied by the constant vector field magnitude, which is just the total surface area multiplied by the constant vector field magnitude. Which is what I've done.

So what's wrong with that thinking?

sharks said:
However, according to what i know, you normally first need to have (or in this case, derive) the vector field [itex]\vec F[/itex] in terms of its unit direction vectors.

In your case, the equation of the sphere would be: [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=25[/itex]

Why convert this to cartesian coordinates? It's already in unit vector notation, and I'm dealing with a spherical surface. Wouldn't this only complicate the problem?

Then, since F=-15, you can find out [itex]\hat n=\frac{∇ \phi }{\left| ∇ \phi \right|}[/itex] and [itex]d\sigma[/itex], from its surface area formula.
Let [itex]\phi (x,y,z)=x^2+y^2+z^2-25[/itex]

I think [itex]\vec F=\left[ 0\,, 0\,, -15 \right]^T[/itex]

Last edited:
I don't really understand why I'd need any equation for this sphere at all here.

1MileCrash said:
Calculate the flux of vector field F = -3r through sphere radius 5 at the origin.

Which is 300pi over the entire surface area, and since it's in the opposite direction, -300pi.

area = 4π(5)2, flux = field x area (since it's normal to the area), = -300π …

looks ok to me :confused:

tiny-tim said:

Wiley Plus strikes again, it seems. :grumpy:

Thank you very much.

tiny-tim said:

*Sigh*

I think I see where we erred.

The field is 3r, which actually has a magnitude of 15 at all points of the surface, not 3, because of the sphere's radius of 5.

So the answer should be -1500π

oh! :rolleyes:

[itex]-3\mathbf{r}[/itex], not [itex]-3\mathbf{\hat{r}}[/itex] :biggrin:

1. What is flux through a spherical surface?

Flux through a spherical surface is the measure of the flow of a vector field through the surface. It is a concept used in physics and mathematics to understand the behavior of fluids, electric or magnetic fields, and other physical phenomena.

2. How is flux through a spherical surface calculated?

Flux through a spherical surface is calculated using the formula: flux = ∫∫F · dS, where F is the vector field and dS is the differential surface element. This integral is known as the surface integral and is evaluated over the entire surface.

3. What factors affect the flux through a spherical surface?

The flux through a spherical surface is affected by the magnitude and direction of the vector field, as well as the orientation and size of the surface. The angle between the vector field and the surface also plays a role in determining the flux.

4. What is the significance of flux through a spherical surface?

The flux through a spherical surface is an important concept in understanding the behavior of vector fields. It helps in analyzing the flow of fluids, the strength of electric and magnetic fields, and other physical phenomena. It also has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and meteorology.

5. How is flux through a spherical surface related to Gauss's law?

Flux through a spherical surface is closely related to Gauss's law, which states that the total flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge or mass. In the case of electric fields, Gauss's law can be used to calculate the electric flux through a spherical surface by considering the enclosed charge within the surface.