Why Does Integrating dq Over 0 to 2π on a Ring Not Yield Total Charge q?

In summary, the total charge on the ring is given by integrating the charge density over the circumference of the ring, with the result being q = 2πrλ where λ is the charge density per unit length of the circumference.
transgalactic
i got a ring a small part of that ring is dq
then the whole ring is q

but i can't get this result in the integral
[tex]
\int_{0}^{2\pi}dq=2\pi-0=2\pi
[/tex]
i should get the result "q"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're going to do it like that then dq will actually be equal to r*d(theta).

thanks

but i don't have q in the result
only 2pi*r *density

Can you write out the question in full then we might have a clue as to what you're aiming for here.

i got the idea 2pi r is q so its ok
thanks

I just hope q isn't supposed to be charge.

Is q the circumference of the ring or the total charge on the ring? If it's the total charge on the ring, then q = 2πrλ where λ is the charge density per unit length of the circumference. (Assuming of course that the charge density is uniform.)

dq = lambda·r·d(theta)
Where lambda is the charge density (charge/distance in this case since it's lineal density).
So by integrating you get 2pi·r·lambda = Q (length·density = charge)

Cyosis said:
I just hope q isn't supposed to be charge.

q is the total charge.
whats the problem?

The problem is that [itex]2 \pi r \neq q[/itex]. Just check the units, on the left side you have meters on the right side Coulombs, it does not match. A few people have already shown you how to do it correctly though so read those posts!

charge density

transgalactic said:
i got a ring a small part of that ring is dq
then the whole ring is q

but i can't get this result in the integral
[tex]
\int_{0}^{2\pi}dq=2\pi-0=2\pi
[/tex]
i should get the result "q"

Hi transgalactic! :smile:

(have you been away?)

You need to integrate the charge density, not just the charge …

(and technically you integrate from 0 to 2π, not dq … how can q = 2π?)

so you integrate qdθ/2π, which is the charge on the tiny arc dθ …

giving ∫0 qdθ/2π = q :wink:

FAQ: Why Does Integrating dq Over 0 to 2π on a Ring Not Yield Total Charge q?

1. What is the integral mathematical part of physics?

The integral mathematical part of physics refers to the use of integration in solving problems and analyzing physical phenomena. Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve, which can be applied to various physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force.

2. Why is the integral mathematical part important in physics?

The use of integration in physics allows us to model and understand complex physical systems. It helps us to calculate important physical quantities, such as displacement, work, and energy, which are essential in describing the behavior of objects and systems in the physical world.

3. Can you give an example of how integration is used in physics?

One example of the use of integration in physics is in calculating the work done by a force on an object. The equation for work is W = F * d, where F is the force applied and d is the distance over which the force is applied. To calculate the work done, we can use integration to find the area under the force-distance curve.

4. How is integration related to differentiation in physics?

Integration and differentiation are closely related in physics. Integration is the reverse process of differentiation, and both are used to analyze and model physical quantities. Differentiation is used to find the rate of change of a physical quantity, while integration is used to find the total change or accumulation of a physical quantity.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration in physics?

While integration is a powerful tool in physics, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it can be challenging to apply integration to complex physical systems with changing variables. Additionally, integration relies on accurate measurements and assumptions, which can affect the accuracy of the results.

Back