Total movement of bacteria assuming a random distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for the total displacement of a bacteria on a two-sided ruler using the Gaussian function for probability of movement. The average expected displacement is represented by the integral of the product of position and probability, which is equal to zero due to the symmetry of the function. The speaker suggests using a limited range integration to calculate the total displacement, but is unsure of its validity. Another participant introduces equations for dispersion and questions whether time is a factor in the problem. The speaker clarifies that time is not mentioned and the equations are not relevant to the exercise. They also suggest interpreting the problem as the bacteria moving a distance X \sim N(0,\sigma^2) in one time unit, resulting in the total
fatpotato
Homework Statement
Find an expression for the total movement ##s## of a bacteria knowing that its movement follow a normal distribution.
Relevant Equations
Expected value ##\bar{x} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x\cdot p(x)dx##
Gaussian function ##p(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \exp{-\frac{x^2}{2}}##
Hello,

I have to find an expression for the total movement of a bacteria ##s##, knowing that the bacteria is placed (centered) on a two side ruler at position ##x=0## (so a negative ##x## value means the bacteria has moved to the left of the ruler) and that the probability it moves to ##x## is given by the Gaussian function :
$$p(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \exp{-\frac{x^2}{2}}$$
I have to express the total displacement ##s## using the fact that ##\bar{x} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x\cdot p(x) dx## is the average expected displacement. Of course, since ##p(x)## is centered, ##\bar{x}## equals to zero, which makes sense both mathematically and physically, but now I have trouble finding a connection between this and a total displacement.

I thought about using ##s = \int_{-a}^{a}x\cdot p(x) dx## where ##a## would be the total displacement at point ##a##, but obviously, since ##x\cdot p(x)## is odd, any integral of this form will yield zero, so I thought about taking only one side with ##s = \int_{0}^{a}x\cdot p(x) dx##, yet I am not convinced.

Evaluating this new integral gives the following result :
$$s = \int_{0}^{a}x\cdot p(x) dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \big( 1 - \exp{-\frac{a^2}{2}} \big)$$
This means that the total displacement lies in the interval ##[0; \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}})##, but why would be the total displacement of ##s## anything other than ##s## itself? My technique would imply that if we want to look at the total displacement ##s## of a bacteria, we have to first look at "all the movements up to point ##a##".

Does this make any sense?

Thanks in advance.

Edit : Relevant equations formatting

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you need time t as parameter for dispersion, e.g. 
[tex]P(x,t) =\frac{N}{2\sqrt{\pi}Dt}exp(-\frac{x^2}{4Dt})[/tex]?

As for limited range integration, may I interpret it that we would omit active bacteria that go beyond this border ?

Likes fatpotato
anuttarasammyak said:
Don't you need time t as parameter for dispersion, e.g. 
[tex]P(x,t) =\frac{N}{2\sqrt{\pi}Dt}exp(-\frac{x^2}{4Dt})[/tex]?
In this exercise, time is not considered at all (not even mentionned!).

Out of curiosity, is your equation used to model dispersion? What are ##N## and ##D## ?

Thanks for your curiosity. N is source or number of participating bacteria. D is dispersion coefficient expressing activeness of bacteria.

As you said <x>=0. Possible candidates of your interest are
[tex] <|x|>=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}|x|P(x) dx= 2\int_0^{+\infty} x P(x)dx[/tex]
[tex] <x^2>=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} x^2 P(x)dx[/tex]
[tex] \sqrt{<x^2>}=\sqrt {\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} x^2 P(x)dx}[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes fatpotato
Even if time is not explicitly mentioned in the problem, I would interpret it at meaning that the bacteria moves a distance [itex]X \sim N(0,\sigma^2)[/itex] in one time unit, so that its total distance moved after [itex]n[/itex] time units is the sum of [itex]n[/itex] independent identically dstributed normal random variables.

anuttarasammyak said:
As for limited range integration, may I interpret it that we would omit active bacteria that go beyond this border ?
I have trouble finding meaning myself. I suppose this could be a valid interpretation, although I don't know what my instructor has in mind.

anuttarasammyak said:
Possible candidates of your interest are
Alas, we are not supposed to know about these equations (which are second order moment and RMS value if I am not mistaken), only the expected value equation has to be used.

pasmith said:
Even if time is not explicitly mentioned in the problem, I would interpret it at meaning that the bacteria moves a distance [itex]X \sim N(0,\sigma^2)[/itex] in one time unit, so that its total distance moved after [itex]n[/itex] time units is the sum of [itex]n[/itex] independent identically dstributed normal random variables.
Would this translate to the equation I have written in my first post?

1. What is the total movement of bacteria assuming a random distribution?

The total movement of bacteria assuming a random distribution refers to the overall displacement of bacteria over a given period of time, assuming that their movement is completely random and not influenced by any external factors.

2. How is the total movement of bacteria calculated?

The total movement of bacteria is typically calculated by measuring the distance traveled by individual bacteria and then summing up these distances for all the bacteria in the sample. This calculation can be done using specialized software or manually using a microscope and measuring tools.

3. Why is it important to study the total movement of bacteria?

Studying the total movement of bacteria can provide valuable insights into their behavior and distribution patterns. This information can be used to understand how bacteria spread and colonize in different environments, and can also help in developing strategies for controlling their movement and growth.

4. What factors can affect the total movement of bacteria?

The total movement of bacteria can be influenced by various factors such as temperature, nutrient availability, presence of other microorganisms, and physical barriers. These factors can affect the speed and direction of bacterial movement, ultimately impacting their overall displacement.

5. How can the total movement of bacteria be measured in a laboratory setting?

In a laboratory setting, the total movement of bacteria can be measured using techniques such as microscopy, tracking software, and microfluidic devices. These methods allow for precise and accurate measurements of bacterial movement, which can then be analyzed to determine the total movement of bacteria in a given sample.