Force on a charge at the tip of a hollow, charged cone

In summary, the conversation revolves around a diagram drawn for calculations and verifying its correctness. The use of Coulomb's law is discussed, as well as the symmetry of a cone being used to show that horizontal components of forces cancel out. Integrals are used to determine the total force on a charge caused by a ring of charges, with a discussion on finding the maximum of the term sin(θ)cos(θ). The importance of improving trigonometry and vector calculus skills is also mentioned.
cwill53
Homework Statement
1.3 Force from a cone ** (a) A charge q is located at the tip of a hollow cone (such as an ice
cream cone without the ice cream) with surface charge density
σ. The slant height of the cone is L, and the half-angle at the
vertex is θ. What can you say about the force on the charge q
due to the cone?
(b) If the top half of the cone is removed and thrown away , what is the force on the charge q due to the remaining part of the cone? For what angle θ is this force maximum?
Relevant Equations
$$\vec{F}=\frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon _0}\sum_{j=1}^{N}\frac{q_0q_j\hat{r}_{0j}}{r^{2}_{0j}}=\frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon _0}\sum_{j=1}^{N}\frac{q_0q_j\vec{r}_{0j}}{r^{2}_{0j}}\frac{1}{\left \|\vec{r}_{0j} \right \|}$$
This is the diagram I drew for my calculations:
IMG_7884.jpg

I wanted to see if my work for part (a) makes sense.

If there is a variable ##l## that runs along the slant of total length ##L##, a ring around the cone can have an infinitesimal thickness ##dl##.
By Coulomb's law,
$$\vec{F}=\frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon _0}\sum_{j=1}^{N}\frac{q_0q_j\hat{r}_{0j}}{r^{2}_{0j}}=\frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon _0}\sum_{j=1}^{N}\frac{q_0q_j\vec{r}_{0j}}{r^{2}_{0j}}\frac{1}{\left \|\vec{r}_{0j} \right \|}$$
The symmetry of the cone can be used to show that the horizontal components of forces along the ##\hat{x}## direction cancel by considering two charges on the ring ##dQ## on opposite sides of one another. The sum of the forces of these charges on the charge q at the tip of the cone is
$$\vec{F}=\frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon _0}(\frac{dQq\left \langle lsin\theta ,lcos\theta \right \rangle}{((lsin\theta )^2+(lcos\theta )^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}+\frac{dQq\left \langle -lsin\theta ,lcos\theta \right \rangle}{((lsin\theta )^2+(lcos\theta )^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}$$
$$\Rightarrow \vec{F}=\frac{2dQqlcos\theta }{4\pi \varepsilon _0l^{3}}\hat{j}$$
For the total force on q caused by the ring, I wrote
$$\vec{F}_{ring}=\frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon _0}\sum_{i=1}^{N}\frac{dQ_iqlcos\theta }{4\pi \varepsilon _0l^3}\hat{j}$$
where N is the number of charges dQ on the ring.
Since there is a surface charge density σ, I wrote that the surface area can be written as
$$2\pi (lsin\theta )dl\Rightarrow q_{ring}=\sigma 2\pi (lsin\theta )dl$$
The total force is the sum of the forces of all the rings of infinitesimal thickness ##dl## that make up the cone:
$$F_{cone}=\int_{0}^{L}\frac{q\sigma 2\pi (lsin\theta )lcos\theta }{4\pi \varepsilon _0l^3}\hat{j}dl$$

I assume part (b) could be done by just integrating from 0 to L/2, but I wanted to make sure this part made sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just providing my thoughts, I am not sure if I am correct. You could probably take the result of standard solution of "Electric field on the axis of a ring of charge" and then integrating for the cone which will make things easy.

Likes cwill53
As @Physicslearner500039 implies, it would be more usual to integrate around the ring. But in effect, that is what you did.
You do have a typo in one equation, where you duplicated the ##4\pi\epsilon_0## denominator.
Result looks right, but you could cancel a little.

Likes cwill53
haruspex said:
As @Physicslearner500039 implies, it would be more usual to integrate around the ring. But in effect, that is what you did.
You do have a typo in one equation, where you duplicated the ##4\pi\epsilon_0## denominator.
Result looks right, but you could cancel a little.
I'm almost afraid to just edit that typo because on my computer the TeX acts weird and won't adjust correctly after I try to edit. I fixed the duplication of that term on my paper though.
For part (b), I wrote that the force on charge q would be
$$F_{cone}=\int_{\frac{L}{2}}^{L}\frac{q\sigma 2\pi (lsin\theta )lcos\theta }{4\pi \varepsilon _0l^3}\hat{j}dl$$
And then I have to find the maximum of the term ##sin\theta cos\theta##. My trig identities suck, but what I did was:

$$\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} \theta }(sin\theta cos\theta )=cos^2\theta -sin^2\theta =cos(2\theta )$$
$$cos(2\theta )=0\Rightarrow \frac{cos^{-1}(0)}{2}=\theta =45^{\circ}$$
$$\frac{\mathrm{d} ^2}{\mathrm{d} \theta ^2}(sin\theta cos\theta )=\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} \theta }(cos(2\theta ))=-2sin(2\theta )$$
##-2sin(2\theta )=-2sin(90^{\circ})=-2\Rightarrow \theta =45^{\circ}## is a maximum for sin(θ)cos(θ).

Aren’t supposed to perform the integrals? After the cancellation you can do, they're very easy.

Wrt maximising wrt angle, it is not entirely clear whether the charge density is to be taken as constant or the cone's total charge, but you have probably guessed right.
The answer makes sense in that the force will obviously be zero at 0 and 90.

Wrt the trig identities, it would have been slightly easier with the first step ##\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)=\frac 12\sin(2\theta)##.

Likes cwill53
haruspex said:
Aren’t supposed to perform the integrals? After the cancellation you can do, they're very easy.

Wrt maximising wrt angle, it is not entirely clear whether the charge density is to be taken as constant or the cone's total charge, but you have probably guessed right.
The answer makes sense in that the force will obviously be zero at 0 and 90.

Wrt the trig identities, it would have been slightly easier with the first step ##\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)=\frac 12\sin(2\theta)##.
I probably should evaluate it. It’s good practice. I’ll do it when I get back home.
After I solved it I saw that it the solutions used the trig identity you just gave. I really need to work on my trig tbh, I bought a book called Advanced Trigonometry by Durell and Robson, and I will work through it at some point. Another place I need to improve is my vector calculus. I’m a bit more than halfway through MIT OpenCourseWare course on multivariable calculus. It’s excellent.

Off topic, but I was registered for a course in applied linear algebra, I had to drop it because I couldn’t handle that along with everything else, but I was working through a proof based linear algebra book along with the “applied” book for the class, which I found eye opening, especially since the “non math major” definition of a vector that they give us is just a magnitude and a direction, while in reality there’s more to it than just that.

Thanks for the help.

1. What is the force on a charge at the tip of a hollow, charged cone?

The force on a charge at the tip of a hollow, charged cone is dependent on the magnitude and direction of the electric field at that point. It can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the electric field at the tip of a hollow, charged cone determined?

The electric field at the tip of a hollow, charged cone can be determined by taking the gradient of the electric potential at that point. It can also be calculated using Gauss's law, which relates the electric field to the charge enclosed within a closed surface.

3. Can the force on a charge at the tip of a hollow, charged cone be negative?

Yes, the force on a charge at the tip of a hollow, charged cone can be negative. This would occur if the charge at the tip is opposite in sign to the charge creating the electric field, causing them to repel each other.

4. How does the force on a charge at the tip of a hollow, charged cone change as the cone's charge or shape is varied?

The force on a charge at the tip of a hollow, charged cone will change as the cone's charge or shape is varied. The force is directly proportional to the charge on the cone and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. As the shape of the cone changes, the distance between the charges will also change, affecting the force.

5. What is the significance of the force on a charge at the tip of a hollow, charged cone in practical applications?

The force on a charge at the tip of a hollow, charged cone can be used in practical applications such as electrospinning, where a charged cone is used to create a jet of charged liquid. It can also be used in particle accelerators, where charged particles are accelerated using electric fields created by charged cones.