Making RC Controlled Objects

• Thread starter univeruser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rc
In summary, RC stands for remote control, but where in the situation I have no radio transmitter, it was only reasonable that I had better used IR LEDs and phototransistors for the receivers. This allows for more complex control over the car using an IR remote controller.
univeruser
RC stands for remote control, but where in the situation I have no radio transmitter, it was only reasonable that I had better used IR LEDs and phototransistors for the receivers.

I'm only 12, have a restricted budget of no more than $30, and less time on hand. In fact, school resumes on the 17th of January, 2009, and I won't be working on all this stuff. So if anyone replies, please study this question carefully.

So now I have a remote control, IR, of course. I know how to complete a circuit with a switch, using an IR phototransistor, a 330 Ω resistor, and of course the cell.

So now say I have made a small car using cardboard wheels and a cardboard base. In fact, I'd probably use wood for the same. Here is the question: I need two motors to activate different sets of wheels. I have taken two IR LEDs for their respective two phototransistors on the receiver end. How do I make sure that one IR LED only activates its respective transistor? Should I buy the diodes in sets, from different shops?

And if this bungling should happen, and I prefer to use one IR and another UV LED, I have my second problem here. The problem is that I find only UV photodiodes and not phototransistors. Please help me with this, either by posting a schematic diagram explaining how I make a switch with a UV photodiode and the place where you get them with the UV LEDs as pairs, or by routing me to a site where you find pairs of UV phototransistors and LEDs.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just use two phototransistors activating two motors on separate wheels on a "bug". My "bug" is powered by two AA cells in series. When I shine a flashlight at it, the "bug" turns toward the flashlight and follows it around the room. What current and voltage do your motors need? Why do you want to use UV photodiodes?
Bob S

If the question is how to get the motors on separate channels -
and if you intend to use an ordinary IR remote controller, like for TV's and such-

the way those work is that each button causes a serial code to be sent (in the ones I've used) on a 32KHz 'tone' (the IR LEDs are modulated at 32KHz and send pulses of that).
One of the commercial integrated circuits for decoding that is available from digi-key or jameco or mouser, usually. It may be found by looking for 'garage door opener IC'.

Cheap 'tricks' for simpler control are done with an 'escapement' which is essentially a rotary switch that has each individual control in sequence and you just click through very fast on anything you don't want it to pause on.

If you like the idea of 'homing on a target' that was described by the previous poster, that is the simplest route of all - and totally fun and rewarding.

For receiving different pulses of IR radiation, I may require a microchip, and since I am not experiences with these devices, I know less on how to work upon them.

I instead think that I shall get one pair of an IR LED and phototransistor modulated to about 65KHz, and another pair of a 40KHz IR LED and a corresponding phototransistor. Please let me know where I can find them online.

And if this wouldn't work, or may interfere with each other's signals, alternately you can let me know where I may find UV LEDs and a corresponding phototransistor. To be precise, in fact, using UV controls opens up distance control from about 10 metres or so, and opens up whole new possibilities, like remotely controlled toy airplanes, and so on.

I have also been wondering, why shouldn't there be any phototransistor that picks up only visible light? And similarly, only respond to its respectively coloured LED, say, green?

Last edited:
You might be best off trying to hack an existing IR tx/rx from an inexpensive toy:

http://dealspl.us/product/new-super-wall-climber-remote-control-mini-car-w-infrared-controller

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you make an RC controlled object?

Making an RC controlled object involves several steps. First, you need to choose the type of RC controller you want to use, such as radio or infrared. Then, you will need to choose the appropriate motors, servos, and other electronic components. Next, you will need to design and build the physical structure of your object, such as a car or drone. Finally, you will need to program the controller and test your object to ensure it functions properly.

2. What materials are needed to make an RC controlled object?

The materials needed to make an RC controlled object will depend on the type of object you are making. Generally, you will need an RC controller, electronic components (such as motors, servos, and batteries), materials for the physical structure (such as wood, plastic, or metal), and tools for building and assembling your object. It is also recommended to have a soldering iron and basic knowledge of electronics and programming.

3. How does an RC controller work?

An RC controller works by sending signals to the receiver on the RC object. These signals are transmitted via radio waves or infrared light, depending on the type of controller. The receiver then interprets these signals and sends commands to the electronic components (such as motors and servos) to control the movement of the object.

4. Can you make any object RC controlled?

Yes, it is possible to make almost any object RC controlled as long as it has the necessary components and structure to support the electronic components. However, some objects may be more difficult to make RC controlled due to their size, weight, or shape. It is important to carefully plan and test your design before building your RC object.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when making RC controlled objects?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when making RC controlled objects. It is important to use appropriate batteries and ensure they are properly connected and charged. Also, be cautious when handling and soldering electronic components. It is also recommended to test your object in a safe and open area to avoid any accidents or damage to the object or surrounding objects.