What is the Minimum Distance Between a BMW and a Camper to Avoid Collision?

• Thread starter jojo711
  • Start date
In summary: The BMW is only capable of -3.5 m/s^2.In summary, the driver's reaction time of 0.26 seconds must be taken into account when determining the minimum distance between the BMW and the camper in order to avoid a collision. Additionally, the problem must be considered in two phases, the reaction time phase and the braking phase. The BMW must equal the camper's speed at the moment it catches it, defining a time. However, the BMW's braking capability of -3.5 m/s^2 is lower than the average vehicle's maximum braking of -9.8 m/s^2.
jojo711

Homework Statement

Suppose that a man driving a BMW zooms out of a darkened tunnel at 39.2 m/s. He is momentarily blinded by the sunshine. When he recovers, he sees that he is fast overtaking a camper ahead in his lane moving at the slower speed of 15.7 m/s. He hits the brakes as fast as he can (his reaction time is 0.26 s). If he can decelerate at 3.5 m/s2, what is the minimum distance between the driver and the camper when he first sees it so that they do not collide?

Homework Equations

V=Vo+at
X=Xo+Vot+1/2at^2
V^2=Vo^2+2a(X-Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the second equation and plugged in the numbers [V=39.2(0.26)+1/2(3.5)(0.26^2)] and ended with the answer being 10.3103. When I put my answer in, it was wrong. Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
jojo711 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that a man driving a BMW zooms out of a darkened tunnel at 39.2 m/s. He is momentarily blinded by the sunshine. When he recovers, he sees that he is fast overtaking a camper ahead in his lane moving at the slower speed of 15.7 m/s. He hits the brakes as fast as he can (his reaction time is 0.26 s). If he can decelerate at 3.5 m/s2, what is the minimum distance between the driver and the camper when he first sees it so that they do not collide?

Homework Equations

V=Vo+at
X=Xo+Vot+1/2at^2
V^2=Vo^2+2a(X-Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the second equation and plugged in the numbers [V=39.2(0.26)+1/2(3.5)(0.26^2)] and ended with the answer being 10.3103. When I put my answer in, it was wrong. Please help me!

Your chosen equation does not address the problem as stated. The 0.26s time span is the driver's reaction time -- the time between when he recognizes the danger and when he actually does something about it. No braking is happening during that time! No velocity change is taking place during that time!

You'll have to consider the problem in two parts: the 'reaction time phase' and the 'braking phase'.

Hint: The speed of the BMW must just equal the speed of the camper just the split second it catches it. That defines a time.

As an aside, the brakes on the BMW are not working properly. The average vehicle has an acceleration rate under maximum braking of -1g which is -9.8 m/s^2.

Related to What is the Minimum Distance Between a BMW and a Camper to Avoid Collision?

1. What is the meaning of "Emerging from a Tunnel"?

"Emerging from a Tunnel" is a phrase often used to describe a process of coming out of a difficult or challenging situation and entering into a new phase of life. It can also refer to a physical journey through a tunnel and the experience of reaching the end and coming out into the open.

2. How does "Emerging from a Tunnel" relate to personal growth?

"Emerging from a Tunnel" can be seen as a metaphor for personal growth and development. Just like emerging from a dark tunnel into the light, personal growth involves overcoming obstacles and challenges to reach a new level of understanding and self-awareness.

3. Can "Emerging from a Tunnel" also have negative connotations?

Yes, while "Emerging from a Tunnel" is often associated with positive growth and change, it can also refer to a difficult or traumatic experience. This can include emerging from a period of isolation or mental health struggles, and the journey of recovery and healing that follows.

4. Are there any scientific studies on the concept of "Emerging from a Tunnel"?

While there may not be specific studies on the phrase itself, there is research on the process of overcoming challenges and the impact it has on personal growth and well-being. This includes studies on resilience, post-traumatic growth, and the psychology of change.

5. How can one effectively "emerge from a tunnel" in their own life?

There is no one-size-fits-all approach to "emerging from a tunnel," as each individual's journey will be unique. However, some strategies that may be helpful include seeking support from loved ones, practicing self-care and self-compassion, setting achievable goals, and seeking professional help if needed. It's important to remember that the journey may not be easy, but it can lead to personal growth and a brighter future.