So how could I use both - foreign languages and engineering

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, becoming fluent in a language can help you be successful in a multinational environment. However, it is not necessary to have a language minor to be successful.
Tyrion101
I've always liked languages, and engineering, and currently am in school to be an EE. My question is, apart from being that guy that translates manuals, what else is there for me, if I'd like to use my language skills, in my field of choice?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can liase between engineers from different countries in multinational projects.

Would you recommend a language minor? Or is that something I could do if I just demonstrate a proficiency in?

I would recommend becoming fluent - particularly in communicating technical subjects. It is unusual for a language minor course to help there.

Spending time in the country where the language is native is the best this on your resume for the sort of work where you are in a multi-national environment. Such employers/opportunities are seldom impressed by paper qualifications. They want to know "can you talk to this guy?"

If your language is French - consider taking a summer job (not vacation) in France. If you can get a technical job, all the better. See if there are exchange programs to French colleges and so on.

A lot of detail will depend on the actual languages you are proficient in, and how good you are with the cultures associated with the language. Trivial example: the differences between US and UK English and culture can cause trouble and an engineer capable of working with teams on both sides of the Atlantic would be quite valuable. Someone immersed in both cultures would pick up nuances not so obvious to the everyday English speaker.

I think what may help is to add a focus on the more administrative/leadership aspect of being an engineer - that will be more likely to get you considered as a liaison. Pursue languages as a passion rather than as an academic goal - passion tends to stand out more in job interviews.

Adjust this advise to your personal situation - I don't actually know you, for all I know you are a language prodigy :)

Last edited:
Thank you, I never realized until recently my hobby could be used for something, my current language is French, ironically, I plan on learning the most common ones, as much as I might prefer to study Farsi or Tagalog (I like a challenge) it probably wouldn't help much with my goals. I don't know if I am a prodigy or not, just passionate about the subject.

No worries - have fun.

Thanks for the advice, I had thought of changing my major, but I think I'll stick with it.

Tyrion101 said:
Thank you, I never realized until recently my hobby could be used for something, my current language is French, ironically, I plan on learning the most common ones, as much as I might prefer to study Farsi or Tagalog (I like a challenge) it probably wouldn't help much with my goals. I don't know if I am a prodigy or not, just passionate about the subject.

Languages with engineering?
Learn Chinese.

Especially if it's automotive, or consultancy.

Would Japanese be a good bet as well?

I'm not sure that learning Chinese or Japanese would be all that helpful.

In my area of work, integrated circuits, there are more than enough American engineers who are fluent in Chinese or Japanese. These people are usually immigrants or sometimes the children of immigrants. If you're in the United States, in my opinion you're better off with a language from a country whose speakers have not migrated to the United States recently in large numbers. French or German would be good choices (although, most French and German engineers I've met speak at least passable English).

My idea was moving abroad, and working there, or working with an international team here.

I became an engineer specializing in radar and radar-guided missiles. After some years I "dropped out" to become a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV). I served in both Korea and Iran. Upon arrival in country the new PCV undergoes 3 or 4 months of intensive language and cross-cultural training. Then, it's off to the "job site"...in my case, to teach electronics using the native language in technical (vocational) high schools. No doubt, it was a struggle at first, but after the first year it seemed natural. The second year solidifies and reinforces one's language skills. If the students gained anything from my service, then fine. I am the one who gained immensely: I am fluent in both Korean and Farsi! I have acted as a liaison engineer between my employers and those nations owing to my technical skills PLUS my language and cultural expertise. Contact Peace Corps and explore the possibilities.

Once upon a time I worked for a global company selling electromechanical products. I went to their factory in the EU where my colleagues had to support customers from many locations. Sitting around the table at lunch, one of the other engineers carried on five different conversations in five different languages (EN, DE, FR, ES, IT).

Eye-opening for a "provincial American". Working in the US where the economic market is so large just by itself, there is usually little motivation to learn anything other than English. Granted, the "Global language of Commerce" currently seems to be English. There's more need of multilingual folks in the EU. I suspect having proficiency in multiple Asian languages may be useful if one could find a gig somewhere over there.

Generally speaking, the job experience above indicated that where ever technical products are sold globally, then proficiency in multiple languages would indeed be very useful in a customer applications engineering & support function.

1. How can I use foreign languages in the field of engineering?

There are various ways in which you can use foreign languages in engineering. For example, you can work for multinational companies that require engineers who are proficient in multiple languages. You can also use your language skills to communicate with international clients or collaborate on global projects. Additionally, you can use your language skills to study and research engineering practices in different countries.

2. Are there any specific language skills that are particularly useful for engineers?

It depends on the type of engineering work you want to do. However, having basic proficiency in technical vocabulary and terminology related to your field is essential. You may also find it useful to have strong communication skills, as well as the ability to read and interpret technical documents in different languages.

3. How can learning a foreign language benefit my engineering career?

Learning a foreign language can open up new career opportunities for engineers, especially in today's globalized world. It can give you a competitive edge in the job market, as well as the ability to work with diverse teams and clients. Additionally, it can help you understand and adapt to different cultures, which is crucial in the increasingly interconnected field of engineering.

4. Is it necessary to be fluent in multiple languages to be successful in engineering?

No, it is not necessary to be fluent in multiple languages to be successful in engineering. However, having at least basic proficiency in another language can greatly enhance your career prospects and make you a more well-rounded engineer. It may also give you a competitive advantage over other engineers who only speak one language.

5. How can I improve my language skills as an engineer?

The best way to improve your language skills as an engineer is to practice regularly. You can take language courses, attend language exchange events, or even watch movies or TV shows in different languages. It may also be helpful to immerse yourself in a country where the language is spoken to improve your fluency and understanding of the culture.