Electrical Eng. Intersted in Brain Signals & Nerve Msgs

• Medical
  • Thread starter hisham.i
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for translating brain signals into electrical signals outside of the body to control actions or movements. While there have been some successful experiments with this concept, the complexity of understanding and interpreting brain signals presents a challenge. However, advancements in this area could potentially have medical applications, such as for quadriplegics.
hisham.i
Hello,
Am Electrical Engineer, and am interseted in the signals generated by the brain and the messages transmitted across the nerves..I wonder if is it possible to take these signal and transform them to electric signal outside the body to make some action according to the given message?
Thank you

Biology news on Phys.org
We can measure the activity, in some cases we can even measure signals for a single neuron. Understanding what the signal is and what it means is quite different thing.

But there were some experiments done, like systems designed for quadriplegics that allow them to steer mouse cursor with brainwaves. See for example http://www.livescience.com/health/050317_brain_interface.html

hisham.i said:
Hello,
Am Electrical Engineer, and am interseted in the signals generated by the brain and the messages transmitted across the nerves..I wonder if is it possible to take these signal and transform them to electric signal outside the body to make some action according to the given message?
Thank you

Along the lines of what Borek said, there is no "translating" what amounts to a binary signal, beyond "on" or "off". It's used the way he mentioned, and also for prosthesis.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071111182522.htm
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/62304.php

and more.

In the end, mapping which nerves fire when we "think" to do something, is a kind of translation. Remember, that a single nerve doesn't carry information beyond, "I am firing now", which is your "1", compared to not firing which is your "0".

1. What is electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering is a field of study that focuses on the design, development, and application of electrical systems and devices. This includes the study of electricity, electronics, electromagnetism, and computer systems.

2. How does electrical engineering relate to brain signals and nerve messages?

Electrical engineering plays a crucial role in understanding and manipulating brain signals and nerve messages. This is because these signals and messages are transmitted through electrical impulses, and electrical engineers use their knowledge to design and develop technologies that can measure and control these impulses.

3. Can electrical engineering be used to treat neurological disorders?

Yes, electrical engineering has been used in the development of medical devices and treatments for neurological disorders. For example, deep brain stimulation, a procedure that involves implanting electrodes in the brain to help regulate abnormal electrical activity, has been used to treat conditions such as Parkinson's disease and epilepsy.

4. What are some common applications of electrical engineering in the field of brain signals and nerve messages?

Some common applications of electrical engineering in this field include electroencephalography (EEG) to measure brain activity, electromyography (EMG) to measure muscle activity, and nerve stimulation techniques for pain management and rehabilitation.

5. How does the study of electrical engineering contribute to our understanding of the brain and nervous system?

The study of electrical engineering has greatly advanced our understanding of the brain and nervous system. By studying the electrical signals and messages that are transmitted within these systems, electrical engineers have helped uncover important insights into their functioning, which has led to the development of new technologies and treatments for neurological disorders.