How to i combine uncertainties

In summary, the formula for combining uncertainties is to add the uncertainties in quadrature, which means taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual uncertainties. To calculate the uncertainty for a sum or difference of two values, you must first find the individual uncertainties for each value and then use the formula for combining uncertainties to find the overall uncertainty. Yes, you can combine uncertainties for values with different units, but you must first convert the values to the same units. There are two types of uncertainties - absolute and relative. Absolute uncertainty is expressed as a fixed value, while relative uncertainty is expressed as a percentage of the measured value. It is important to use the same type of uncertainty when combining uncertainties. The method of combining uncertainties in quadr
lavster
i have a measurement which has random uncertainty of 0.02 and scale reading 0.01. how do i combine these uncertainties - add in quadrature the percentage uncertainty or the absolute uncertainty? and does this give the percentage uncertainty or the absolute uncertainty of my measurement?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If both uncertainties are random and independent, add the squares of the absolute uncertainties and take the square root.

What is the formula for combining uncertainties?

The formula for combining uncertainties is to add the uncertainties in quadrature, which means taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual uncertainties.

How do I calculate the uncertainty for a sum or difference of two values?

To calculate the uncertainty for a sum or difference of two values, you must first find the individual uncertainties for each value. Then, use the formula for combining uncertainties to find the overall uncertainty for the sum or difference.

Can I combine uncertainties for values with different units?

Yes, you can combine uncertainties for values with different units. However, you must first convert the values to the same units before calculating the overall uncertainty.

What is the difference between absolute and relative uncertainties?

Absolute uncertainty is the uncertainty expressed as a fixed value, while relative uncertainty is the uncertainty expressed as a percentage of the measured value. When combining uncertainties, it is important to use the same type of uncertainty for all values.

Can I use the same method to combine uncertainties for any type of measurement?

Yes, the method of combining uncertainties in quadrature can be used for any type of measurement, whether it is a length, time, temperature, or any other physical quantity.