Can the Many Worlds Theory and Biocentric Theory Co-Exist?

In summary: There is no evidence that consciousness can exist without matter. Indeed there is no evidence that consciousness can exist without a brain since we've extensively studied how damage to certain parts of the brain cause changes (and even loss in) consciousness. Whilst neuroscience has yet to find an answer to the hard problem of consciousness (essentially: how is the experience of consciousness generated?) there is no evidence supporting any other assertion on the nature of consciousness.In summary, Jordan seems to believe that consciousness comes before matter, and that the Many Worlds theory is a better possibility than the Biocentric theory. He also thinks that the current state of physical sciences favors this theory.
JordanSC5
I've been reading up on the quantum observer problem and what it says on the nature of the Universe. Two theories that interest me greatly are the Many Worlds theory and the Biocentric theory (which says consciousness comes before matter and is the core part of the universe).

Do you think these two theories can co-exist? Do you favor either? Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Space news on Phys.org
The many worlds theory is an issue for the interpretation of QM rather than cosmology. I've never heard of the other theory you mention. Sounds like pseudo science to me. Physics forums rules are that we only discuss material in the scientific literature. So please provide a reference in a proper journal or at least an arxiv paper form a reputable source.

JordanSC5 said:
consciousness comes before matter

What is it that you think could possibly be conscious with no matter around ?

JordanSC5 said:
I've been reading up on the quantum observer problem and what it says on the nature of the Universe. Two theories that interest me greatly are the Many Worlds theory and the Biocentric theory (which says consciousness comes before matter and is the core part of the universe).

Do you think these two theories can co-exist? Do you favor either? Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Hello Jordan,

Thank you for your question.

Regarding Biocentric theory - when you mention consciousness do you then speak of energy?

JordanSC5 said:

There is no "quantum observer problem." Perhaps you mean the quantum measurement problem?

The issue here is that wavefunction collapse doesn't require an observer.

I understand what you are asking and in my opinion the answer is yes. You may note that most don't take my opinion seriously though.

Adrian07 said:
I understand what you are asking and in my opinion the answer is yes. You may note that most don't take my opinion seriously though.

OK, so you apparently also believe that "consciousness comes before matter" so perhaps you can tell me what you think has consciousness if there is no matter around?

I understand biblical arguments are frowned upon. I take consciousness as the ability to think.
You might like to think though how a group of elements that have no consciousness can gain it, or where do your thoughts come from.

There is no evidence that consciousness can exist without matter. Indeed there is no evidence that consciousness can exist without a brain since we've extensively studied how damage to certain parts of the brain cause changes (and even loss in) consciousness. Whilst neuroscience has yet to find an answer to the hard problem of consciousness (essentially: how is the experience of consciousness generated?) there is no evidence supporting any other assertion on the nature of consciousness.

Adrian07 said:
I understand biblical arguments are frowned upon. I take consciousness as the ability to think.
You might like to think though how a group of elements that have no consciousness can gain it, or where do your thoughts come from.

That is not any kind of answer to my question, unless you are positing a "god" and simply avoiding saying so to keep from breaking forum rules. If that is the case then this discussion is pointless.

WHAT is it that thinks if there is no matter?

Adrian07 said:

Consciousness is just energy. Like everything else.

SriLanka said:

Not a helpful statement. What is it that is conscious when there is no matter around?

SriLanka said:
Energy is a property of matter*. It does not exist independent of it.

* For "matter" here I am using an extended definition: any quantum-mechanical field. It doesn't make sense to talk about energy without also talking about what field is carrying that energy.

I strongly suspect 'consciousness' is a philosophical issue without very widespread agreement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness discusses some of that. plants, for example, evidence 'consciousness'...and can 'communicate'...depending on your definitions...I think 'information' might be a better alternative to consider...

In any case, at the current stage of development, seems physical sciences like physics in all probability favors many worlds as a better possibility.

I don't think 'information requires matter...as long as entropy is not at a maximum, information can flow...processes, relationships can take place as, for example, when we approach the end of the ever expanding 'cold' universe.

Regarding information,

Jordan: Is your 'quantum observation problem' this?:

...Relational quantum mechanics (RQM) is an interpretation of quantum mechanics which treats the state of a quantum system as being observer-dependent, that is, the state is the relation between the observer and the system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_quantum_mechanics

A rock is composed of matter, the atoms within it have energy, so does a rock think. Of course it also raises the question does matter exist, if none came out of the BB how then can it now exist, yes I have heard of the higgs field which then leads to where did the higgs field come from. If thought is just energy could the energy that came out of the BB think. How does matter in the form of the brain cause thought to come out of what are essentially electric pulses. Or is thought just a pattern in an electric field? in which case how does the brain cause that pattern to change to produce thought.

Adrian07 said:
A rock is composed of matter, the atoms within it have energy, so does a rock think. Of course it also raises the question does matter exist, if none came out of the BB how then can it now exist, yes I have heard of the higgs field which then leads to where did the higgs field come from. If thought is just energy could the energy that came out of the BB think. How does matter in the form of the brain cause thought to come out of what are essentially electric pulses. Or is thought just a pattern in an electric field? in which case how does the brain cause that pattern to change to produce thought.
This is outside the scope of this forum. A forum dedicated to neuroscience would be more appropriate, I think.

Locked pending moderation.

Update: thread will remain locked.

Last edited:

1. What is the Universe?

The Universe is the entirety of all matter, energy, space, and time. It includes all galaxies, stars, planets, and other celestial bodies.

2. How old is the Universe?

The current estimated age of the Universe is 13.8 billion years old. This is based on observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the oldest light in the Universe.

3. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin of the Universe. It states that the Universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and expanded and cooled over billions of years to form the Universe we see today.

4. Is the Universe infinite?

The size of the observable Universe is currently estimated to be around 93 billion light years in diameter. However, it is unknown if the Universe is truly infinite or if it has a finite size beyond the observable portion.

5. What is dark matter and dark energy?

Dark matter and dark energy are two mysterious substances that make up the majority of the Universe. Dark matter is believed to be a type of matter that does not interact with light, while dark energy is thought to be a force that is causing the expansion of the Universe to accelerate.