Faraday's Law of Induction and Current

In summary, for a 22.0-cm-diameter coil consisting of 20 turns of circular copper wire of 2.6 mm in diameter, with a uniform magnetic field changing at a rate of 8.65 x 10-3 T/s perpendicular to the plane of the coil, the current in the loop is 1.03 x 10-5 A. The rate at which thermal energy is produced, or power, can be found by using the equation P=I^2*R.
Kandycat

Homework Statement

A 22.0-cm-diameter coil consists of 20 turns of circular copper wire of 2.6 mm in diameter. A uniform magnetic field, perpendicular to the plane of the coil, changes at a rate of 8.65 x 10-3 T/s. Determine (a) the current in the loop, and (b) the rate at which thermal energy is produced.

Homework Equations

V = NBA / t
R= pl/A

l = N*2*pi*diameter of coil
A = pi*(radius of wire)2

I = V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the part (a)... sort of. Tell me if I did it something wrong.

V = NBA / t
V = (20)(8.65 x 10-3 T/s)(pi*(.0013 m)2) = 9.19 x 10-3 V

R = pl/A
R = (1.72 x 10-8)(20*2*pi*.22 m)/ (pi*(.0013 m)2) = 8.96 x 10-2 ohms

I = V/R
I = 9.19 x 10-3 V / 8.96 x 10-2 ohms = 1.03 x 10-5 A

Part (b) I don't understand. I don't know what I'm finding.

Physics news on Phys.org
the rate at which thermal energy is produced.
It is power and is found by P=I^2*R.

I would like to first clarify that the equations and calculations provided by the student are correct. However, I would like to provide a more detailed explanation for part (b) of the problem.

In Faraday's Law of Induction, the changing magnetic field induces an electromotive force (EMF) in the coil, which in turn creates a current. This current then flows through the coil, generating heat due to the resistance of the wire. This heat production can be calculated using the formula P = I^2R, where P is the power (or rate of energy production), I is the current, and R is the resistance.

In this problem, we have already calculated the current (I) to be 1.03 x 10^-5 A. To find the rate of thermal energy production, we simply need to plug in the value of resistance (R) into the formula.

R = 8.96 x 10^-2 ohms

P = (1.03 x 10^-5 A)^2 * (8.96 x 10^-2 ohms) = 9.45 x 10^-10 watts

Therefore, the rate at which thermal energy is produced in the coil is 9.45 x 10^-10 watts. This value may seem small, but it is important to note that this is the rate of energy production, not the total energy produced. To find the total energy produced, we would need to know the time (t) for which the current is flowing through the coil.

What is Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction states that when a conductor is placed in a changing magnetic field, a voltage is induced in the conductor.

How does Faraday's Law of Induction relate to current?

The induced voltage from Faraday's Law of Induction can cause a flow of electric current in the conductor if the conductor is part of a closed circuit.

What factors affect the strength of the induced current?

The strength of the induced current depends on the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the conductor, and the resistance of the conductor.

Can Faraday's Law of Induction be used to generate electricity?

Yes, Faraday's Law of Induction is the basis for generators and other devices that convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

What are some real-world applications of Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction is used in transformers, electric motors, generators, and other devices that use electromagnetic induction. It is also used in everyday items such as power adapters and electric toothbrushes.