HElp me to select US University for Phd in Computer Science

In summary, cswave has short listed some universities but is unsure of his chances of admission. He recommends University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, Georgia Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon University, Princeton University, Purdue University-West Lafayette, University of Southern California, University of Maryland-College Park, Pennsylvania State University-University Park, Texas A&M University-College Station, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State Univ., Arizona State University, University of Florida, North Carolina State University, University of Arizona, University of California-Davis, University of Colorado-Boulder, University of Pennsylvania, Yale University, and Michigan State University.
MightyJoe
Hi ...
I want to do Ph.D in computer science from US . but could not make up my mind to select the US University. Please check my credentials n let me know whether I am eligible to get 100% scholarship in top US university renowned for Computer Science or not.
:shy:My credentials
10-->77%:biggrin:
10+2-->63%:zzz:
Graduation-->69%:shy:
Masters-->82%:wink: (2008)
6 month summer Intership.
Currently working as a college faculty for Computer Department.

GRE-->1350:blushing:
Toefl-->Preparing

I have short listed some universities but please let me know.

Short listed ::universities::

University of Michigan–Ann Arbor
Georgia Institute of Technology
Carnegie Mellon University:frown:
Princeton University:frown:
Purdue University–West Lafayette
University of Southern California
University of Maryland–College Park
University of California–San Diego
Pennsylvania State University–University Park
Texas A&M University–College Station
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State Univ
Arizona State University
University of Florida, Gainesville
North Carolina State University
University of Arizona
University of California–Davis
University of Colorado–Boulder
University of Pennsylvania
Yale University
University of Virginia
University of California–Irvine
Michigan State University

Physics news on Phys.org
Im not sure of your chances, but I thought the use of smileys was truly inspiring. I think if you are as good at CS as you are at issuing smiley faces then you have a good chance at any school you want.

As a fellow computer science student, I must commend you on your GRE score. Although your GRE score would barely get you into many of the schools you listed, it is high enough that they would at least take a look at your application. Also, I commend you on getting an internship.

Taking a specific look at the schools you listed, I see some challenges ahead for you. Carnegie Mellon University I have heard is one of the best, although your smiley shows you are aware that you might not have as much confidence in getting admitted there as some of the others. On the bright side, with good references and outstanding academic credentials, you could probably attract the interest of even the best of the best. Unfortunately, your 82% for the MS is too close to a C+ average, in my opinion, to warrant consideration by some of the schools you listed, including CMU. A C+ average is unacceptable for MS programs--it is essentially an F. You were just 2 points above failing your MS, which might be of concern for if you want to succeed in a PhD program that would most likely be harder than your MS program.

Yet your internship and your the experience teaching that you already have are sure to look positive to the admissions committee.

University of Colorado–Boulder

This would be a great choice for the recreational opportunities. Exercise can be a good way to relieve the stress of studying and research. Boulder is generally a hip and progressive community too. These reasons might be secondary to your consideration of the program's or department's academic and research quality of course.

Yale University

An Ivy League university typically carries widespread general recognition as a prestigious institution. While it is true that within the specific domain of study this is less important--Carnegie Mellon isn't even Ivy League, not to say it isn't unknown among the general public--the element of prestige an Ivy League university is not to be ignored if you think it might set you apart in a broader field of competition that includes people from other domains and disciplines, such as business or public policy.

North Carolina State University

NC State and other universities in the Southern US and some in the Western US will generally have a lower cost of living.

Georgia Institute of Technology

GA Tech has a good reputation in the Southern US region. It might help with job connections. Also a lower cost of living.

Good luck on your PhD endeavor! :)

Last edited:
irises28 said:
I think if you are as good at CS as you are at issuing smiley faces then you have a good chance at any school you want.

Please tell me the safe university list from the given list.Your imp. advice is highly solicited. :approve:

cswave said:
You were just 2 points above failing your MS, which might be of concern for if you want to succeed in a PhD program that would most likely be harder than your MS program.

Hi cswave...
Please tell me the safe university list from the given list. I am waiting for your reply:smile:...

Related to HElp me to select US University for Phd in Computer Science

What are the top universities in the US for a Phd in Computer Science?

The top universities in the US for a Phd in Computer Science include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, Carnegie Mellon University, University of California - Berkeley, and University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign.

What are the admission requirements for a Phd in Computer Science at US universities?

The specific admission requirements may vary among universities, but in general, applicants are expected to have a strong background in computer science, including a Bachelor's and/or Master's degree in the field. Most programs also require high GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

What is the average duration of a Phd in Computer Science program in the US?

The average duration of a Phd in Computer Science program in the US is around 5-6 years. However, this may vary depending on the individual's progress and research project.

Are there any funding opportunities available for Phd in Computer Science students at US universities?

Yes, most universities offer funding opportunities such as research or teaching assistantships for Phd students. There are also external funding sources such as scholarships, grants, and fellowships that students can apply for.

What are the job prospects for Phd in Computer Science graduates in the US?

Phd in Computer Science graduates in the US have excellent job prospects in various industries such as technology, research, academia, and government. They are highly sought after for their advanced knowledge and skills in computer science and can pursue careers as researchers, professors, data scientists, software engineers, and more.