Solve Transmission Losses: 50kW @ 230V, PF 0.6 Lagging

In summary, the conversation discusses a tutorial question involving finding the transmission losses in a supply system represented by a 0.1ohm resistance, with a consumer demand of 50kW at an effective voltage of 230V and a power factor of 0.6 lagging. The summary includes the different formulas and methods used by the discussants to solve the problem, with the final answer being 13.13kW. Another similar question is also mentioned, with the final answer being 1.22kW.
SGL18
I need help with this tutorial question I cannot solve!

a consumer demands 50kW at an effective voltage of 230V. supply system can be represented by a 0.1ohm resistance. Find the transmission losses in the event of the load being supplied with a power factor of 0.6 lagging.

I know the answer works out to be 13.13kW, but can't figure out the solution!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi SGL18! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

i've used the power factor=real power/apparent power (P/S) and from the power triangle i can get the real, reactive and apparent power. Can also get the impedance angle from the power factor using inverse cos function! (cos-1 0.6 = 53.13) and i know other formulas such as real power=p=V.I.cos (angle) but I'm just not sure how to put it together to get transmission loss!?

i Just mananged to solve this using Apparent power instead of real power! P=IV so I=P/V or rather I=S/V then P loss= I (squared)R! Thanks for replying anyway tiny-tim! just started a new power engineering class soe rest assured I'll have plenty more questions! :)

Hi SGL18 (and/or anyone else who reads this),

I have a similar question but can't seem to work it out from what you've posted.

Question:

A 6.35kV single phase transmission line has a series resistance of 0.01 ohms supplies a 2MW load of 0.9 lagging power factor. Find the power loss in the tansmission line.

Ans: 1.22kW

I know its not particularly difficult but I have tried everything I can and am close to suicide :/

Please help.

Welcome to PF!

Hi MBgigs! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've done so far. :smile:

Hi and thanks for replying,

Well I figured find the Power and subtract the given power of 2MW. P = VI* so I need I. Therefore V = IR or IZ.

6350 = (0.01)(I)

I = 635000 (Already I see something is wrong)

I then subbed in for P = VI* and get a ridiculous figure not worth mentioning. I've thrown away (or recycled :) ) my scrap paper working which I won't do from now on but I've tried many other methods using the many available formula's but I am not getting anywhere.

Its been 3 years since I've done anything like this and I've jumped right into the deep end as this is just the basics for 3 phase power.

MBgigs

Hi MBgigs! :smile:
MBgigs said:
A 6.35kV single phase transmission line has a series resistance of 0.01 ohms supplies a 2MW load of 0.9 lagging power factor. Find the power loss in the tansmission line.

Ans: 1.22kW
MBgigs said:
Well I figured find the Power and subtract the given power of 2MW. P = VI* so I need I. Therefore V = IR or IZ.

6350 = (0.01)(I)

Oh I see, you're trying to find I from V and R. :redface:

No, you must find I from V and W (and then use power loss = I2R, as SGL18 did) …

what do you get? :smile:

I gave that a go but guess I don't know what to do next:

2000000 = (6350)(I)

I = 314.96A

314.96^2 x 0.01 = 992W

MBgigs said:
I gave that a go but guess I don't know what to do next:

2000000 = (6350)(I)

What about the power factor? :wink:

2000000 / 6350 x 0.9 = 349.96I

349.96^2 x 0.01 = 1.224kW (1.2kW) :)

Thanks again for your help. I may be in serious trouble this year :/

All the best.

What are transmission losses?

Transmission losses refer to the energy that is lost during the process of transmitting electricity from a power plant to its end-use destination. This can occur due to factors such as resistance in transmission lines, voltage drop, and power factor.

How is transmission loss calculated?

Transmission loss is calculated by subtracting the amount of electricity generated from the amount of electricity delivered to the end-use destination. In the case of 50kW @ 230V, PF 0.6 lagging, the transmission loss would be 50kW multiplied by (1-0.6), equaling 20kW.

What is the significance of 50kW @ 230V, PF 0.6 lagging?

50kW @ 230V, PF 0.6 lagging is a representation of the amount of electricity being transmitted (50kW), the voltage at which it is being transmitted (230V), and the power factor (PF) at which it is being transmitted. A lower power factor indicates that the transmission system is less efficient, resulting in higher transmission losses.

How do transmission losses affect the overall energy system?

Transmission losses can have a significant impact on the overall energy system. They result in wasted energy, increased costs, and can contribute to environmental pollution. Reducing transmission losses is important for creating a more sustainable and efficient energy system.

What can be done to solve transmission losses?

There are several strategies that can be implemented to solve transmission losses. These include upgrading and modernizing transmission infrastructure, improving power factor, and using renewable energy sources that have lower transmission losses. Additionally, implementing energy conservation and efficiency measures can also help reduce transmission losses.