What are things that are expected to be discovered ?

• Thread starter phy_freak
  • Start date
In summary, some important theories in physics that are expected to be discovered within our generation include the Higgs boson, dark matter, and the sequence that names all the primes in order beginning with 2.
phy_freak
What are some important theories in physics that are expected to be discovered within our generation?

Physics news on Phys.org
That question is extremely hard to answer and at some levels, is nonsensical. How can we predict discoveries that haven't happened yet? A more appropriate question may be what will we be able to look at within our generation.

For example, if the James Webb Telescope goes up, we'll be able to see even further back towards the big bang, but we can't say what we're actually going to see. The LHC is going to give us higher and higher collision energies, but we can't say what it's going to discover.

Next week's lottery numbers.

:biggrin:

Pengwuino said:
That question is extremely hard to answer and at some levels, is nonsensical. How can we predict discoveries that haven't happened yet? A more appropriate question may be what will we be able to look at within our generation.

For example, if the James Webb Telescope goes up, we'll be able to see even further back towards the big bang, but we can't say what we're actually going to see. The LHC is going to give us higher and higher collision energies, but we can't say what it's going to discover.

I mean there are certainly unsolved equations and mysteries in physics and maybe maths, i said perhaps our generation would be able to solve some of them

Science is on the verge of being able to predict what things are expected to be discovered.

phy_freak said:
I mean there are certainly unsolved equations and mysteries in physics and maybe maths, i said perhaps our generation would be able to solve some of them

Yes but we have no idea if or when unknown solutions will be discovered. It's pretty much impossible to predict because if you know what you need to solve a problem you have the solution. The solution itself may need you to solve some problems in which case you've moved the problem one step back. For instance;

How do we solve X?
Technology Y
What do we need for technology Y?
Something that has characteristics Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Epsilon.
What has these characteristics?
Nothing that we know of

phy_freak said:
What are some important theories in physics that are expected to be discovered within our generation?

Don't know about theories expected to be discovered, but one thing comes to mind.

Within our generation, we should either discover the Higgs boson or rule it out.

I don't know if it's expected, but I'd like to know WTF dark matter is before I die. I figure I have another 50 years to live if I'm lucky, so we'll see.

The theory of nothing will be discovered. Physicists will then debate whether nothing is something and whether it is even possible nothing is meaningless.

Jack21222 said:
I don't know if it's expected, but I'd like to know WTF dark matter is before I die. I figure I have another 50 years to live if I'm lucky, so we'll see.

In addition I'd also like to know what's dark energy, provided they don't turn out to be the same.

I expect to discover a sequence that names all the primes in order beginning with 2.

Hey, got to have goals, right?

tenchotomic said:
In addition I'd also like to know what's dark energy, provided they don't turn out to be the same.

It wouldn't make sense for them to be the same. They basically have opposite effects.

That it's turtles all the way down.

1. What is the process of discovering new things in science?

The process of discovering new things in science is typically through experimentation, observation, and analysis. Scientists use their knowledge and creativity to come up with hypotheses, which are then tested through experiments and observations. Through this process, new discoveries can be made, leading to a better understanding of the natural world.

2. How do scientists determine what is expected to be discovered?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine what is expected to be discovered. This can include analyzing existing data and trends, conducting research and experiments, and collaborating with other experts in the field. Additionally, scientific theories and models can help guide predictions of what may be discovered in the future.

3. What factors influence what is expected to be discovered in science?

Several factors can influence what is expected to be discovered in science. These can include advancements in technology, funding and resources available for research, societal and cultural influences, and the current state of scientific knowledge and understanding. Additionally, unexpected discoveries can also influence what is expected to be discovered in the future.

4. Can scientists predict exactly what will be discovered?

No, scientists cannot predict exactly what will be discovered. While they can make educated guesses and predictions based on available data and knowledge, there is always the potential for unexpected discoveries and advancements. Science is an ever-evolving field, and new discoveries are constantly being made.

5. How does the discovery of new things impact society?

The discovery of new things in science can have a significant impact on society in various ways. It can lead to advancements in technology, medicine, and other fields, improving our quality of life. It can also expand our knowledge and understanding of the world around us, leading to new possibilities and opportunities. However, it is important for society to consider the ethical and moral implications of new discoveries and their potential impact.