What is the Difference Between Diffraction and Interference?

In summary, diffraction and interference are two separate phenomena that involve the superposition of waves. Diffraction refers to the deviation of waves when they encounter an obstacle, while interference is when two or more waves are in superposition at a point in space. Diffraction can occur without interference, but they are often seen together in phenomena such as the double slit experiment. The terms "diffraction picture" and "interference picture" refer to the patterns produced by these phenomena, with diffraction being a continuous set of sources and interference being a discrete number of sources.
Nemanja989
Hello,

could someone tell me what is the main difference between effects of diffraction and interference?

For now, I think that diffraction is name for deviation of waves when they come to obstacle.
And interference is phenomenon when two or more waves are in superposition in some point in space.

But the main thing that I do not understand is the difference between diffraction and interference picture. I simply think that those two are the same, because, first wave has to do diffraction on some obstacle and after that to interferes with itself.

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Nemanja989 said:
Hello,

could someone tell me what is the main difference between effects of diffraction and interference?

For now, I think that diffraction is name for deviation of waves when they come to obstacle.
And interference is phenomenon when two or more waves are in superposition in some point in space.

But the main thing that I do not understand is the difference between diffraction and interference picture. I simply think that those two are the same, because, first wave has to do diffraction on some obstacle and after that to interferes with itself.

Thanks!

I think diffraction is the term used when interference is caused by multiple sources that are being driven by a single source.

Nemanja989 said:
Hello,

Thanks!

A wave can diffract without interfering with itself. They are separate phenomena that you have already defined in your post. :biggrin:

Diffraction and interference are basically the same, but the former is interference of (uncountably) infinitely many waves and the latter finite.

Well, ok if diffraction is term for deviation of waves when they come to the obstacle, then there can not be such thing as diffraction picture, right? It is interference picture, because there is superposition of waves in some point in space, but before that diffraction happened.

I understand all of physics of waves, but I do not know why do they have term "diffraction picture" when it obviously comes from interference in last step (but still can't happen without diffraction).

From physical point of view they could call Fraunhofer diffraction, something like Fraunhofer interference? And same with Fresnel.

In fact, I would like to ask what is the difference between diffraction picture and interference picture?

The phenomena that we commonly label as "interference" (e.g. of light passing through two slits) and "diffraction" (e.g. of light passing through one slit) are both the result of superposition / interference of waves.

We commonly use "interference" to refer to superposition of waves from a discrete number of sources, e.g. two narrow slits, three narrow slits, or a diffraction grating. We commonly use "diffraction" to refer to superposition of waves from a continuous set of sources, e.g. the continuous range of points across the width of a wide slit.

Two narrow slits gives you a pure interference pattern. A single wide slit gives you a pure diffraction pattern. Two wide slits gives you a combination of diffraction and interference.

Double slit interference

Single slit diffraction

Double slit diffraction (The "single slit envelope" is the "diffraction" part of the pattern, and the narrower peaks are the "interference" part.)

@ jtbell

Thank you very much, I finally understood the main difference between interference and diffraction phenomena :) .

Related to What is the Difference Between Diffraction and Interference?

What is diffraction?

Diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave (such as light, sound, or water) encounters an obstacle or slit and bends around it, spreading out and creating a pattern of interference.

What is interference?

Interference is the interaction of two or more waves that meet at the same point in space. It can result in constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other and create a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out.

What is the difference between diffraction and interference?

The main difference between diffraction and interference is that diffraction occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle or slit, while interference occurs when two or more waves meet at the same point. Diffraction results in the spreading out of a wave, while interference can result in either constructive or destructive effects.

What are the applications of diffraction and interference?

Diffraction and interference have many practical applications in various fields. Some examples include the use of diffraction gratings in spectrometers to separate wavelengths of light, the use of diffraction patterns in X-ray crystallography to determine the structure of molecules, and the use of interference in anti-reflective coatings for lenses and windows.

How does the size of the obstacle or slit affect diffraction and interference?

The size of the obstacle or slit can affect the diffraction and interference patterns that are formed. Generally, smaller obstacles or slits result in larger diffraction patterns and more pronounced interference effects. This is because smaller obstacles or slits cause more bending and spreading of the waves, leading to more interactions and interference.