What Causes Equal Interference Amplitudes in Light Diffraction Patterns?

In summary, the conversation discusses the patterns of interference and diffraction of a light wave, specifically in regards to the equal amplitudes of the interference pattern in a double slit experiment. It is explained that the interference pattern is affected by the single-slit pattern, resulting in the equal amplitudes. However, in the limit of infinitely narrow slits, the intensity of a double slit interference pattern is constant. To get a more accurate result, the interference pattern should be multiplied by the slit diffraction.
waley
Here's a picture that was in my textbook - they are the patterns of interference and diffraction of a light wave. I don't get why the interference amplitudes are all equal. Aren't they supposed to be higher in the middle and lower as they move away from the center??

Attachments

• interference and diffrac.PNG
    interference and diffrac.PNG
    36.8 KB · Views: 600
Science news on Phys.org
Why do you expect them to be different?
The single-slit pattern makes them different, so what you actually see (the red curve) is different, but the two slits always show the same constructive interference in all these maxima.

mfb said:
Why do you expect them to be different?
The single-slit pattern makes them different, so what you actually see (the red curve) is different, but the two slits always show the same constructive interference in all these maxima.
Doesn't intensity decrease as you go further from the central max?

Only from the single-slit-like pattern. That's what the graph shows.

mfb said:
Only from the single-slit-like pattern. That's what the graph shows.
I thought the purple line on the graph showed the interference pattern of a double slit. I get that the product of the interference and diffraction patterns should produce a pattern with descending intensity, it's just the equal amplitudes of the purple line that's tripping me up. So are you saying that intensity of a double slit interference pattern is constant?

In the limit of infinitely narrow slits, and with the approximation that the whole screen has the same distance to the slits (apart from the path differences between the slits), yes.

mfb said:
In the limit of infinitely narrow slits, and with the approximation that the whole screen has the same distance to the slits (apart from the path differences between the slits), yes.
Ohh I think I get it. It's only with diffraction that you consider a finite slit width. Thanks for the help

The calculated interference pattern never gives the totally right answer but it gives a good idea of how narrow the peaks will be. What you do for a better answer is to multiply the interference pattern by the slit diffraction. It only works when ALL slits are identical.

Likes sophiecentaur

What is an interference amplitude?

An interference amplitude is a measurement of the strength of interference between two or more waves. It is typically represented by the maximum displacement of the resulting wave from the original waves.

How is an interference amplitude calculated?

The calculation of an interference amplitude involves adding the individual amplitudes of the interfering waves and taking into account the phase difference between them. This can be done using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.

What factors can affect the interference amplitude?

The interference amplitude can be affected by several factors, including the amplitude and frequency of the original waves, the distance between the sources of the waves, and any obstacles or barriers present in the path of the waves.

What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference amplitudes?

Constructive interference amplitudes occur when the interfering waves are in phase, resulting in a larger overall amplitude. Destructive interference amplitudes occur when the interfering waves are out of phase, resulting in a smaller or even zero amplitude.

How is the concept of interference amplitudes applied in practical applications?

The concept of interference amplitudes is used in a variety of practical applications, including noise-cancelling headphones, radio and television broadcasting, and medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound. It is also important in understanding and predicting the behavior of light and sound waves in different environments.