Would switching to Applied Physics be a good idea?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's concerns about their future job prospects in the field of physics. They have a traditional physics degree with a focus on liberal arts, but are also interested in astronomy and aerospace. The speaker has a 3.0 GPA and is worried about getting into graduate school. They are considering getting an applied physics degree to increase their chances of finding a job, but are unsure if it will be beneficial. Some suggest taking computer science courses and higher level math to broaden job skills and make them more attractive to potential employers.
Rianu
Hello physics forums! Looking for some informed input on this subject as many of you are involved in job searches (or maybe you do the hiring) or have been involved and have a better idea of what goes on out there in the real world then I do.

Right now I have a junior Physics major, and my emphasis is in Liberal Arts. My degree will still read B.S, and it is still a traditional physics degree. What got me into the field in the first place is my lifelong interest in astronomy and aerospace related topics, but the more I get into my degree I also find other interests in the field also, so I am not specific on following that path necessarily.

I am a bit worried however, That I won't be able to get into graduate school. I study hard, I have a good reputation among my professors (no problems getting letters of recommendation) but I still only have a 3.0 GPA. I have been working very hard to get that up, but I still think I will have problems when I start applying next fall. So I figure I may be left with working for a year or two then going, which makes me think an applied physics degree would be better. I'd still graduate next year, but I would take more lab courses (electronics,labview,optics) opposed to upper level Quantum Mechanics and Thermodynamics. Would this increase my chances of finding a job when I graduate? I feel like I need more hands on skills. Any thoughts,ideas,or suggestions? Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think taking the other courses mentioned will help much. CompSci courses might broaden your job skills. I would think QM would also be important especially if you plan to go to grad school sometime. The fact of having CompSci and higher level math makes you more attractive to financial institutions as well as commercial labs or even some smaller programming shops.

1. Is Applied Physics a practical and in-demand field?

Yes, Applied Physics is a highly practical and in-demand field that offers a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as technology, engineering, healthcare, and research.

2. How is Applied Physics different from other branches of physics?

Applied Physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the practical application of physics principles to real-world problems and technologies, whereas other branches of physics like theoretical physics focus on understanding the fundamental laws of nature.

3. What kind of skills and knowledge are required for a career in Applied Physics?

A career in Applied Physics requires a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also requires the ability to apply these skills to practical problems and communicate complex ideas effectively.

4. What job opportunities are available for someone with a degree in Applied Physics?

Graduates with a degree in Applied Physics can find job opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, healthcare, telecommunications, and research and development. Some common job titles include research scientist, engineer, data analyst, and technical consultant.

5. Is a degree in Applied Physics a good investment in terms of future career prospects?

Yes, a degree in Applied Physics is a valuable investment in terms of future career prospects. With the increasing demand for technology and innovation in various industries, there is a growing need for professionals with a strong background in Applied Physics, making it a promising and rewarding career choice.