Private sector research, undergraduate physics

In summary, private sector research plays a crucial role in advancing our understanding of physics at the undergraduate level. By collaborating with universities and conducting their own independent studies, private companies contribute to the overall progress of the field and provide valuable opportunities for undergraduate students to gain hands-on experience. Private sector research also allows for the development of practical applications and technologies that have real-world impact. This partnership between the private sector and undergraduate physics education is essential for the continued growth and innovation in the field.
HamiltOnion
Hello, I'm about to graduate with undergraduate degrees in physics and computer science. I'm considering applying to graduate school because I want to do physics research, but I also need a decent job at the moment (I don't believe that graduate students get paid more than a survival wage). Is there anything remotely like that in the private sector for someone with just an undergraduate degree?

EDIT: I live on the North American continent but am willing to relocate anywhere. Anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
HamiltOnion said:
Hello, I'm about to graduate with undergraduate degrees in physics and computer science. I'm considering applying to graduate school because I want to do physics research, but I also need a decent job at the moment (I don't believe that graduate students get paid more than a survival wage). Is there anything remotely like that in the private sector for someone with just an undergraduate degree?

EDIT: I live on the North American continent but am willing to relocate anywhere. Anywhere.
<<Emphasis added.>>

* Just to clarify: Did you double major? That is, you're graduating with enough credits in physics to earn a bachelor's in physics and enough credits in computer science to earn a bachelor's in computer science?

* If so, are you interested only in a "physics job"? What about a "computer science" job?

* OK, you live on the North American continent. But what is your citizenship? That will affect the options available to you.

CrysPhys said:
<<Emphasis added.>>

* Just to clarify: Did you double major? That is, you're graduating with enough credits in physics to earn a bachelor's in physics and enough credits in computer science to earn a bachelor's in computer science?

* If so, are you interested only in a "physics job"? What about a "computer science" job?

* OK, you live on the North American continent. But what is your citizenship? That will affect the options available to you.
Thanks for responding.

* I have two separate majors. My physics major came second, after I fully graduated with my computer science major.

* I absolutely don't mind taking a "computer science job". I quite like programming. I would definitely prefer to have a job that had a novel research component. It would also be nice (though not necessary) if it was something that I could present for grad school application.

* I have dual American and Canadian citizenship.

HamiltOnion said:
Thanks for responding.

* I have two separate majors. My physics major came second, after I fully graduated with my computer science major.

* I absolutely don't mind taking a "computer science job". I quite like programming. I would definitely prefer to have a job that had a novel research component. It would also be nice (though not necessary) if it was something that I could present for grad school application.

* I have dual American and Canadian citizenship.
OK. That helps.

* Start with the helpful information on the American Physical Society (APS) website: https://aps.org/. Click on the tab, "Careers in Physics". Explore the various categories and links for info on employment for people with bachelor's in physics.

* In particular, here's a listing originally posted Aug 2019 of US companies who hired people with bachelor's in physics: https://www.aip.org/statistics/whos-hiring-physics-bachelors.

* Typically (unless you've had extensive undergrad research or internship experience), you will be hired as a research assistant or technician (usual caveat: exceptions apply). E.g., the lead or principal investigator will likely have a PhD, and he will partition specific tasks or assignments to research assistants. Some of these tasks or assignments will likely be mundane. But if your intent is to go to grad school (say, within two years or so?), (a) it won't be too long a stint, (b) you'll get practical experience, and (c) you'll likely get a stronger motivation for grad school. [Or, you could find a slot that you like and that has long-term growth potential, and decide that grad school is not needed.]

Last edited:
Likes HamiltOnion

1. What is private sector research in undergraduate physics?

Private sector research in undergraduate physics is research conducted by private companies in collaboration with undergraduate students. This research is typically focused on solving real-world problems and developing new technologies.

2. What are the benefits of participating in private sector research as an undergraduate physics student?

Participating in private sector research as an undergraduate physics student can provide valuable hands-on experience, exposure to cutting-edge technology, and the opportunity to network with professionals in the field. It can also lead to potential job opportunities after graduation.

3. How can I get involved in private sector research as an undergraduate physics student?

You can get involved in private sector research as an undergraduate physics student by reaching out to companies that align with your research interests and skills. You can also speak with your professors and university career center for potential connections.

4. What types of projects are typically conducted in private sector research for undergraduate physics students?

Projects in private sector research for undergraduate physics students can vary greatly depending on the company and field of study. Some common projects may include developing new technology, testing and analyzing materials, and solving real-world problems related to physics.

5. Are there any drawbacks to participating in private sector research as an undergraduate physics student?

One potential drawback of participating in private sector research as an undergraduate physics student is that it may require a significant time commitment, which can be challenging to balance with coursework and other responsibilities. It may also limit the opportunity for students to conduct independent research projects.