Is dark energy constant to emtpy space?

In summary, dark energy is a mysterious force that is thought to be constant and is responsible for the expansion of the universe. It is incredibly small and difficult to measure, making it a major challenge for scientists. While it is believed to be constant, the exact details and dynamics of dark energy are still unknown.
azzkika
Is dark energy constant to emtpy space??

i've just been reading about dark energy on a site, and it seems it's quite a riddle at present.

it stated that the dark energy of space is constant and that the universe is speeding up as the more space produced increases the amount of dark energy, at the same time gravities pull is weakening as denseness is reduced.

i was wondering is it really constant?? and if so should it not reside in space on the atomic level as well as the cosmological?? and so shouldn't we all become gradualy bigger until the point of the 'big rip'??

the site was hubble.org, and as informative as it was it's left me confused as most things do these days.

i know you guys have answers for every questin I've put so far, so i look forward to your replies. lol

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Dark energy is completely tiny at the local level (vacuum), and only really can be felt on the order of say intergalactic scales and greater. We are talking about many, many orders of magnitude smaller than anything previously measured before in the history of science. In fact its so small, its a huge problem, b/c there is almost nothing we can think off that will give us much detail about the exact dynamics or about how such a small number could possibly arise.

As for whether its constant or not, or the exact details. Well, the short answer is we don't know exactly. In the standard picture and at least to good approximation it seems that way (hence it appears as a cosmological constant term in Einsteins equations) but the bottomline is its still a huge unknown and no one knows exactly.

FAQ: Is dark energy constant to emtpy space?

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is thought to make up approximately 70% of the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. How is dark energy related to empty space?

Dark energy is thought to be constant in empty space, meaning that it does not decrease or dissipate over time. It is believed to be evenly distributed throughout the universe, even in areas that are considered "empty space".

3. Is dark energy the same as dark matter?

No, dark energy and dark matter are two different concepts. Dark matter is thought to make up approximately 27% of the universe and is believed to be responsible for the gravitational pull that holds galaxies together. Dark energy, on the other hand, is thought to be a force that is causing the universe to expand at an accelerating rate.

4. How do scientists study dark energy?

Scientists study dark energy through various methods such as observing the effects of dark energy on the expansion of the universe, analyzing data from supernovae, and using gravitational lensing to measure the distribution of matter in the universe.

5. What are some current theories about dark energy?

There are several theories about dark energy, but the most widely accepted one is the cosmological constant theory, which suggests that dark energy has a constant density throughout the universe. Other theories include quintessence, which proposes that dark energy is a dynamic force that changes over time, and modified gravity, which suggests that the laws of gravity may need to be modified to explain dark energy.

Back