Coefficient of kinetic friction and acceleration

In summary, A 3.00 kg block moves down a ramp on an incline of 30 degrees and makes it 2.00 m in 1.20 s. The acceleration of the block is 1.78 m/s^2. To find the coefficient of kinetic friction, a free body diagram is needed and Fk= uFn. The negative value of u is incorrect. The acceleration needs to be recalculated and the difference in acceleration due to friction can be used to find the coefficient of friction.
Leid_X09

Homework Statement

A 3.00 kg block starts from rest and moves down a ramp on an incline of 30 degrees. If it makes it 2.00 m down the incline in 1.20 s, then:

a) what is the acceleration of the block?

This answer I got using dX=Vot + 1/2at^2. The answer is 1.78 m/s^2.

b) the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the ramp.

Here is where I run into problems. n can be found using mgcos30 (29.4cos30) which gives you n = 25.5. But I'm confused on how to determine the frictional force. I know it can't be -fk = ma, since the object is in moving so fk should be less than ma. How can I set this equation up? What variable am I not looking at? I know that uk = Fk/n, but how do I get Fk?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first step is going to be setting up a free body diagram. After that, keep in mind that Fk= uFn, where u= u(k)

Use Ef(x)=ma(x). you already determined the x-accel in the first part.

So from what you said, you thought it was -Fk=ma(x). So -uFn=ma(x), = -u=Ma(x)/Fn, wouldn't that value be smaller than ma?

The only problem now seems to be your negative value of u... see where you went wrong?

Last edited:
I think you need to recalculate your acceleration. That doesn't look right.

Once you have your acceleration, what should your acceleration have been if it were frictionless? You know the component of gravity down the incline. And you have an answer for the acceleration with friction, so the difference in acceleration must be due to the frictional force acting on the mass.

Once you have that force, you have the normal component of gravity to the incline accounting for that force and the ratio is called the coefficient of friction.

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction, denoted as μk, is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact when one is moving relative to the other. It is a measure of the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces and is affected by factors such as surface material and texture.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force, or the force exerted by one surface on another in a direction perpendicular to the surface. It can also be calculated by dividing the force required to keep an object moving at a constant velocity by the normal force.

What is the relationship between coefficient of kinetic friction and acceleration?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is directly related to the acceleration of an object. As the coefficient of kinetic friction increases, the acceleration of an object will decrease. This is because a higher coefficient of kinetic friction means there is more resistance between the surfaces, which requires more force to overcome and achieve a certain acceleration.

How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect an object's motion?

The coefficient of kinetic friction affects an object's motion by causing it to slow down or come to a stop. As an object moves across a surface, the coefficient of kinetic friction will cause resistance, which will decrease the object's velocity and eventually bring it to a stop. This is why it is important to consider the coefficient of kinetic friction when designing objects that need to move efficiently.

What factors can affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be affected by a variety of factors, including the materials and texture of the surfaces in contact, the weight and shape of the objects, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces. Additionally, the coefficient of kinetic friction can change over time as surfaces wear down or become smoother. Temperature can also affect the coefficient of kinetic friction, as some materials may become more or less slippery at different temperatures.