Gas Laws Corrections: Calculating Volume & Molar Mass

In summary, the conversation involves calculating the volume occupied by a certain mass of gas at different temperatures and pressures using the ideal gas law. The first part involves finding the volume at STP and the second part at a specific temperature and pressure. The second conversation involves finding the molar mass of a gas at a given temperature and pressure using the ideal gas law and a conversion factor. Overall, the calculations seem correct and the conversation also discusses the importance of using the correct units.
DB
could u guys tell if I am right with these:
1)
a) calculate the volume occupied by 6.5 g of Nitrogen gas @ STP

[tex]\frac{1_{mol}}{28g_{N_2}}=\frac{x_{mol}}{6.5g}[/tex]

[tex]x\sim0.23[/tex]

[tex]\frac{101.3*V}{273*0.23}=8.31[/tex]

so i got that 6.5 grams of N_2 is ~ 0.23 mol so using the ideal gas law i solved for V getting 5.15 L

b) calculate the volume occupied by this mass of gas at -40.0 C and 65.0 kPa

[tex]\frac{65*V}{233*0.23}=8.31[/tex]

so i did the same thing as "a" except filled in those values of temperature(kelvin) and pressure, i got 6.9 L
2)
this one I am not so sure about:
what is the molar mass of a gas if 375 cm^3 have mass 0.800 g at 85 C and 100.7 kPa?
using the ideal gas law i did:

[tex]\frac{100.7*0.375}{358*n}=8.31[/tex]

[tex]n\sim ~ 0.013 mol[/tex]

then i divided 0.800g by 0.013 mol and got ~ 61.5 grams molar mass
is that right?
thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you're using the wrong units, review your text or use common sense and use the correct units, remember standard temperature is 25C

no you're thinking standard AMBIENT temp and pressure, these problems deal with STP, being 0C and 101.3 kPa

alright, check your answers with the that obtained by using the conversion factor 1mole/22.4L, part a) seems right, the third one seems fine by me

1. What are gas laws corrections?

Gas laws corrections refer to the adjustments made to gas law equations in order to account for the real-world conditions of gases, such as non-ideal behavior and deviations from ideal gas assumptions.

2. How is volume calculated in gas laws?

In gas laws, volume is typically calculated using the ideal gas law equation, PV=nRT. This equation relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas to each other, and can be rearranged to solve for volume.

3. What is molar mass?

Molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance, expressed in grams. It is often denoted as M and is calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by its number of moles.

4. How do gas laws corrections affect calculations?

Gas laws corrections can affect calculations by adjusting the values used in gas law equations, resulting in more accurate predictions of gas behavior. This is especially important when dealing with non-ideal gases.

5. What units are used in gas law calculations?

In gas laws, pressure is typically measured in atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), temperature in Kelvin (K), and amount of gas in moles (mol). However, other units such as joules (J) and pascals (Pa) may also be used depending on the context.