Relationship between coefficients of linear and volume expansion

In summary, when a solid material is in the form of a block, its volume will increase when heated and a coefficient of volume expansion, beta, can be calculated using the initial and final volumes and temperatures. The relation between the coefficients alpha and beta can be found by expressing L2, W2, and H2 in terms of L1, W1, and H1, or by using the linear expansion equation Lf=Li(1+alpha*delta-T).
madmartigano

Homework Statement

If a solid material is in the form of a block rather than a rod, its volume will grow larger when it is heated, and a coefficient of volume expansion beta defined by
[tex]\beta = \frac{{{V_2} - {V_1}}}{{{V_1}\left( {{t_2} - {t_1}} \right)}}[/tex]
may be quoted. Here [tex]{V_1}[/tex] and [tex]{V_2}[/tex] are the initial and final volumes of the block, and [tex]{t_1}[/tex] and [tex]{t_2}[/tex] are the initial and final temperatures. Find the relation between the coefficients [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\alpha = \frac{{{L_2} - {L_1}}}{{{L_1}\left( {{t_2} - {t_1}} \right)}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming I need to set [tex]{V_1} = {L_1}{W_1}{H_1}[/tex] and [tex]{V_2} = {L_2}{W_2}{H_2}[/tex]

and attempt to extract [tex]\frac{{{L_2} - {L_1}}}{{{L_1}\left( {{t_2} - {t_1}} \right)}}[/tex] from [tex]\frac{{{L_2}{W_2}{H_2} - {L_1}{W_1}{H_1}}}{{{L_1}{W_1}{H_1}\left( {{t_2} - {t_1}} \right)}}[/tex]

I've only gotten so far:

[tex]{W_1}{H_1}B = \frac{{{L_2}{W_2}{H_2} - {L_1}{W_1}{H_1}}}{{{L_1}\left( {{t_2} - {t_1}} \right)}}[/tex]

but I can't figure out the rest of the algebraic manipulation.

Is this possible, or am I going about the problem incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
madmartigano said:
I'm assuming I need to set [tex]{V_1} = {L_1}{W_1}{H_1}[/tex] and [tex]{V_2} = {L_2}{W_2}{H_2}[/tex]

and attempt to extract [tex]\frac{{{L_2} - {L_1}}}{{{L_1}\left( {{t_2} - {t_1}} \right)}}[/tex] from [tex]\frac{{{L_2}{W_2}{H_2} - {L_1}{W_1}{H_1}}}{{{L_1}{W_1}{H_1}\left( {{t_2} - {t_1}} \right)}}[/tex]

Now, express L2, W2, and H2 in terms of L1, W1, and H1. Remember that the linear expansion equation, [tex]\alpha = \frac{{{L_2} - {L_1}}}{{{L_1}\left( {{t_2} - {t_1}} \right)}}[/tex], applies for the width and height too.

A less messy way to do this problem is to write the linear expansion equation as Lf=Li(1+alpha*delta-T). Then LWH=Li(1+alpha*delta-T)*W*(1+alpha*delta-T)...you get the idea.

I've only gotten so far:

[tex]{W_1}{H_1}B = \frac{{{L_2}{W_2}{H_2} - {L_1}{W_1}{H_1}}}{{{L_1}\left( {{t_2} - {t_1}} \right)}}[/tex]

That step is correct algebraically, but it gets you farther from the solution.

You helped me see that I was just over-thinking the problem--I got it figured out. Thank you.

1. What is the relationship between coefficients of linear and volume expansion?

The relationship between coefficients of linear and volume expansion is that the coefficient of linear expansion is directly proportional to the coefficient of volume expansion. This means that as one increases, the other also increases at the same rate. This relationship is known as the volumetric expansion coefficient, which is typically denoted by the Greek letter alpha (α).

2. How do the coefficients of linear and volume expansion affect the size of an object?

The coefficients of linear and volume expansion determine how much an object will expand or contract when heated or cooled. The coefficient of linear expansion affects the length of an object, while the coefficient of volume expansion affects the overall size of the object. These coefficients are important in predicting the changes in size of an object due to temperature changes.

3. What factors affect the coefficients of linear and volume expansion?

The coefficients of linear and volume expansion are affected by the material properties of the object, such as its density and elastic modulus. These coefficients also vary with temperature, and may differ for different materials. Additionally, the crystal structure of a material can also affect its coefficients of expansion.

4. How can the coefficients of linear and volume expansion be calculated?

The coefficients of linear and volume expansion can be calculated using the formula α = (ΔL/LΔT) and β = (ΔV/VΔT), respectively. ΔL and ΔV represent the change in length and volume of the object, while L and V represent the original length and volume. ΔT is the change in temperature. These calculations can also be done using the average coefficient of expansion, which takes into account the change in temperature over a range of values.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the relationship between coefficients of linear and volume expansion?

Understanding the relationship between coefficients of linear and volume expansion is important in several practical applications. For example, it is used in designing materials that can withstand extreme temperatures without warping or breaking. It is also important in the development of accurate thermometers and other temperature measuring devices. Additionally, this relationship is utilized in the construction of bridges, buildings, and other structures that need to withstand temperature changes.