Swimming to and fro across a river

In summary, The problem statement is that the velocity of the swimmer perpendicular to the intended direction of travel, ##AB## and that of the river also perpendicular to it must cancel. This means that given the swimmer's velocity, the desired direction across the river making an angle ##\alpha## to the banks and the river's own velocity, the swimmer is constrained to move only at one angle, say ##\beta##, to the direction he wants to travel.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
A man swims across a river from ##A## to ##B## and back from ##B## to ##A##, following the line ##AB## as shown in the figure below. The distance between the two points is ##S##. The velocity of the river is ##v## and is the same over the entire width of the river, staying constant. As shown in the figure, the line ##AB## makes an angle ##\alpha## with the direction of the river flow and the man swims with a velocity ##u'## at an angle ##\beta## to the line ##AB## for both occasions. ##\\[10pt]##.
Calculate the time taken by the man for his to and fro journey.##\\[10pt]##
Relevant Equations
1. The relative velocity ##\vec{v}_M=\vec u\;\text{(say)}## of the man with respect to the earth is the vector sum of his velocity with respect to the river ##\vec{v}_{MR} = \vec u'\; \text{(in this problem)}\;## and the velocity of the river relative to earth ##\vec {v}_R = \vec v\;\text{(in this problem)}\;##. Thus ##\vec u = \vec u' + \vec v####\\[10pt]##
2. In order for the man to swim in the given direction ##AB## (see figure below), it is necessary that the components of his velocity and that of the river ##\textbf{normal}## to the line ##AB## cancel out. Thus ##u' \sin\beta = v \sin\alpha##. ##\\[10pt]##
River.png
Problem statement :
While the statement is given above, I draw the given image for the problem.

Attempt : It is clear at the outset that, since the velocity of river is constant, the man will not take the same time for the forward and reverse journeys. For both journeys however, the Relevant Equation 2 above will have to hold, since he is constrained to move along ##AB##: ##
\begin{equation}
u' \sin\beta = v \sin\alpha
\end{equation}
##
##\\[10 pt]##
1621285189645.png
(1) Forward motion :
The forward motion looks something like the image on the right. The velocity components perpendicular to ##AB## cancel out, while the velocity of the man relative to Earth is ##u_1 = u'\cos\beta+v \cos\alpha##. ##\\[10pt]##
The distance ##AB## is equal to ##S##. Hence the time for the forward journey is given by
##
\begin{equation*}
t_1 = \frac{S}{u'\cos\beta+v \cos\alpha}
\end{equation*}
##

1621299782985.png

(2) Backward motion :
The motion back to ##A## looks like that on the left. The velocity of the man in the direction ##B\rightarrow A## is given by ##u_2 = u' \cos\beta - v\cos\alpha##. ##\\##

The distance ##BA## is equal to ##S##. Hence the time for the backward journey is given by
##
\begin{equation*}
t_2 = \frac{S}{u'\cos\beta-v \cos\alpha}
\end{equation*}
##The total time for these motions ##t= t_1+t_2 = \frac{S}{u'\cos\beta+v \cos\alpha} + \frac{S}{u'\cos\beta-v \cos\alpha} = \frac{2u'\cos\beta}{u'^2\cos^2\beta - v^2\cos^2\alpha}S##. ##\\[10pt]##
Let me put the final answer for the total time with a better look : $$\boxed{t = \frac{2u'\cos\beta}{u'^2\cos^2\beta - v^2\cos^2\alpha}S} \checkmark$$

This is the answer given in the book, so I am right. However, it ignores the fact that perpendicular to the motion ##A\rightarrow B\;\text{or}\; B\rightarrow A##, the velocity of the swimmer and the river cancel (refer equation 1 above).

That equation said ##u' \sin\beta = v \sin\alpha \Rightarrow u'^2 \sin^2\beta = v^2 \sin^2\alpha\Rightarrow u'^2-u'^2 \cos^2\beta = v^2-v^2 \cos^2\alpha \Rightarrow u'^2 \cos^2\beta - v^2 \cos^2\alpha = u'^2-v^2##.##\\[10pt]##

Thus the time of travel is $$\boxed{t = \frac{2u\cos\beta}{u'^2-v^2}S}$$Doubt : Assuming I am right, the above answer in blue raises a tricky question.

The angle of the path relative to river flow, ##\alpha## is absent!

It means therefore that the man will take the same time along any path he chooses provided he keeps the distance ##S## fixed. This can be managed by him not going all the way to the other bank but stopping somewhere in between before returning.

But intuitively, does this make sense? Clearly, the time of travel for the onward journey, ##t_1## would be less with decreasing angle ##\alpha##. This is because while the component of his velocity along the path of travel remains the same (##u'\cos\beta##), the contribution from the river (##v\cos\alpha##) increases with decreasing ##\alpha##. My conclusion is that it also means when he returns, his velocity will be smaller due to an increase in (negative) ##v\cos\alpha## and the increase and decrease will compensate.

Am I correct in resolving my doubt? A hint would be welcome.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Given a fixed river width, only one ⁡α is possible. If you make the river wide enough that ⁡α = 90°, then the travel time would be the same in both directions.

Algr said:
Given a fixed river width, only one ⁡α is possible. If you make the river wide enough that ⁡α = 90°, then the travel time would be the same in both directions.
Or to put it another way, you still have u', v and ##\beta## in there, and they determine ##\alpha##, so you can't change ##\alpha## without changing something else.

Likes Orodruin and Algr
As has been said already, there is a constraint that relates ##\alpha##, ##\beta##, ##u’## and ##v##. You have used this to eliminate ##\alpha##. However, it is in some sense more natural to eliminate ##\beta## as the direction of swim is not the typical input. Typically, the river speed, the swimmer’s speed, and the direction between A and B will be the natural inputs and then you can solve for which direction the swimmer needs to swim into keep the bearing as well as for the time taken.

haruspex said:
Or to put it another way, you still have u', v and ##\beta## in there, and they determine ##\alpha##, so you can't change ##\alpha## without changing something else.
1621359724570.png
I had quite forgotten to see the relevance of the fact that the velocity of the swimmer perpendicular to the intended direction of travel ##AB## and that of the river also perpendicular to it must cancel.
It led to this equation :
\begin{equation*} u' \sin\beta = v \sin\alpha \end{equation*}

This means that given the swimmer's velocity ##u'##, the desired direction across the river making an angle ##\alpha## to the banks and the river's own velocity ##v##, the swimmer is constrained to move only at one angle, say ##\beta##, to the direction he wants to travel.

Thank you @haruspex , @Orodruin and @Algr . It's been a learning. However, I'd like to return to the question of the total time of travel, to and fro, in the given direction.

It came out to be : $$\boxed{t = \frac{2u\cos\beta}{u'^2-v^2}S}$$
I commented earlier that the equation is missing in the direction of travel relative to earth, ##\alpha##. I wondered why that is.

Is it because that, given the other three variables (##u', v, \beta##), the angle ##\alpha## is fixed?

Or conversely, I suppose the above time can be written in terms of ##\alpha## by eliminating one of the other variables.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• 1621352397573.png
    1621352397573.png
    6 KB · Views: 97
brotherbobby said:
I commented earlier that the equation is missing in the direction of travel relative to earth, α. I wondered why that is.
It is not. As you have now realized, ##\beta## is constrained by the other variables - including ##\alpha## - and therefore a function of ##\alpha##.
brotherbobby said:
Is it because that, given the other three variables (u′,v,β), the angle α is fixed?

Or conversely, I suppose the above time can be written in terms of α by eliminating one of the other variables.
Yes. Those are equivalent statements. You have a system where specifying three of the quantities fixes the fourth. You can therefore choose which three you want to write your function in terms of.

1. What is the purpose of swimming to and fro across a river?

The purpose of swimming to and fro across a river is to gather data on the river's current and flow patterns. This data can be used to study the river's ecosystem and make informed decisions about conservation efforts.

2. How is swimming to and fro across a river conducted?

Swimming to and fro across a river is conducted by using a combination of swimming and floating techniques. The scientist will swim upstream for a designated distance, then float back downstream while collecting data. This process is repeated multiple times along different sections of the river.

3. What equipment is needed for swimming to and fro across a river?

The equipment needed for swimming to and fro across a river includes a wetsuit or appropriate swimwear, a life jacket, a waterproof notebook and pen, a waterproof camera, and a GPS device for recording location data. It is also important to have a safety plan in place and to have a trained assistant present.

4. What type of data is collected during swimming to and fro across a river?

The data collected during swimming to and fro across a river includes water temperature, water depth, water velocity, and water quality. Other observations, such as wildlife sightings and changes in vegetation, may also be recorded.

5. How is the data collected during swimming to and fro across a river used?

The data collected during swimming to and fro across a river is used to analyze the health of the river and its ecosystem. It can also be used to identify areas of concern and inform conservation efforts. The data may also be used to create maps and models of the river's flow patterns.