Sun Sensor Performance in Earth's Shadow

In summary, the conversation discusses the functionality of a sun sensor on a satellite and whether it can work in the Earth's shadow. The conversation also brings up the use of a sun sensor in the satellite's attitude determining system and the necessity of having two sensors for accurate attitude determination. The original poster also asks for clarification on the purpose and design of a sun sensor.
bookimal
Hi,

Will a sun sensor work if the satellite is in the Earth's shadow?

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please, just think just a little bit on this.

I think it won't work..

but I'm reading things that says the attitude determining system uses a magnetometer and a sun sensor, and don't you need 2 sensors to work out the attitude? if the sun sensor doesn't work then it won't know the attitude..

Bookimal, first off... Welcome to PF.
As regards your posts—I'm really sorry to say that they are totally incomprehensible to me. I have no idea what you're talking about.

bookimal said:
I think it won't work..

but I'm reading things that says the attitude determining system uses a magnetometer and a sun sensor, and don't you need 2 sensors to work out the attitude? if the sun sensor doesn't work then it won't know the attitude..

I'm not being sarcastic in any way, but try this. Think of your original question and then ask yourself the more analytical/in depth questions of:
1. Is the sun sensor sensing light or heat (how is it constructed/designed).
2. Is the sun sensor aimed at the sun itself or sensing what is reflected off of the Earth (what's it's orientation, what is it aimed at).

Can any1 tell me what a sun sensor is??

1. How does a sun sensor perform in Earth's shadow?

A sun sensor is designed to measure the position of the sun in the sky and provide information about its orientation. In Earth's shadow, the sun sensor may experience reduced performance due to the lack of direct sunlight. This can affect the accuracy and reliability of the sensor's measurements.

2. What factors can affect the performance of a sun sensor in Earth's shadow?

The performance of a sun sensor in Earth's shadow can be affected by several factors, including the angle of the sun relative to the sensor, the amount of cloud cover or atmospheric interference, and the quality of the sensor itself.

3. Can a sun sensor still function in Earth's shadow?

Yes, a sun sensor can still function in Earth's shadow, but its performance may be compromised. Some sensors are designed to adapt to low light conditions, while others may have a limited range of operation in shadowed areas.

4. How can the performance of a sun sensor be improved in Earth's shadow?

To improve the performance of a sun sensor in Earth's shadow, it is important to use a high-quality sensor with advanced features such as adaptive capabilities and a wide operating range. Additionally, minimizing the amount of atmospheric interference and positioning the sensor at the optimal angle can also help improve its performance.

5. What are some applications for sun sensors in Earth's shadow?

Sun sensors are commonly used in spacecraft and satellites to determine their orientation and position relative to the sun. They are also used in solar energy systems to track the movement of the sun and optimize energy production. In Earth's shadow, sun sensors can be used for navigation, solar power generation, and scientific research.